Microsoft: Hotmail has the best spam protection

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Malcontent, Feb 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Malcontent

Malcontent Registered Member

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_live/b/windowslive/

I don't use Hotmail. Can anyone who does comment on Hotmail's improved spam protection?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Re: Microsoft: Hotmail has better spam protection than Gmail

Which has the larger market share?

Spam filters are basically AVs - heuristic signatures and blacklists. If you have huge market share your heuristics gets targeted.

Good to know though - I personally haven't had spam in ages.

3. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

If you ask me it's just propaganda. I use Hotmail and I like it very much, but I had to activate a filter to bypass spam protection because of incorrect categorization of a big part of my emails. This is probably because the language the emails are using is not English, and Hotmail seems to have a problem with that.

4. d0t

d0t Registered Member

I went from Hotmail to Gmail because of the spam. I still use my Hotmail, and still get dialy spam.

5. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Some reckon Gmail has very strong anti-spam protection. Does this mean Microsoft believe they're better than them at filtering out the crud?

6. Defcon

Defcon Registered Member

Is this a joke? My Hotmail account is full of spam, I don't think I've ever received more than 1-2 spams in gmail in years.

7. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

All I can say is what Carl Sagan tolds on Nova years ago

"extraodinary claims require extraordinary proof...."

This claim falls right in, where is the independant proof?

8. BrandiCandi

BrandiCandi Guest

In my experience it matters little which email provider you use, it matters how you use it. I'm interested if anyone else could substantiate that.

I've got at least 10 email accounts, all created for various uses. The one linked to my son's facebook account is massively spammed. The one I use strictly for professional matters has very little spam. The one I use for job hunting is spammed by career service providers. etc. etc.

@ Defcon- I have a gmail account that is full of spam and I have a gmail account with no spam, again based on the usage of the email account. I haven't tried hotmail though.

9. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I get very little spam in GMail or Hotmail, although there is often probably slightly more spam in Hotmail. At the moment, most of the spam I get in Hotmail, seems to imply that I am not totally satisfied with the size of a particular part of my anatomy. I hate to disabuse the spammers of this notion, but it just isn't true & I'm perfectly content. ;)

10. DOSawaits

DOSawaits Registered Member

11. BrandiCandi

BrandiCandi Guest

:blink: :D

12. Hotmail's spam filtering is good... Too good! I'm subscribed to several software-related mailing lists, and it always seems to pin most of the messages from them as spam.

That said, I've only had one or two actual spams get through to my inbox, which I guess is pretty good.

13. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

14. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Hmm, to pay to read someones opinion whos own comments seem to disagree with him, or to believe the original blog post which is backed up by various explanations. Hard choice, easy choice for the usual suspects I guess.

15. Daveski17

The Usual Suspects. ;)

16. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I think it depends on who has your email address. I get almost no spam on my Hotmail. Or my Yahoo account. Or my Gmail account. However I know people that get 35 spam emails a day on Yahoo.

17. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Is his email address visible to see on there? I know people who don't get spammed via that medium, possibly because they've set privacy to not show such details.

Like you said, it's down to how such email accounts are used and "advertised".

18. BrandiCandi

BrandiCandi Guest

Nope, I locked his FB account down pretty well. And I just checked, the email account is not visible nor can anyone download it. I think the exposure comes from all the stupid apps he installs- you answer a poll and you just enabled an app. I keep removing them but that doesn't seem to erase my email address from the app's spam database.

Today on this yahoo email account I had 34 messages automatically flagged as spam, so good job on that front. Only 4 were delivered as legit mail, not bad but it's not great either.

19. Daveski17

And possibly if their computers are compromised in some way.

20. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Well, out of all my emails none of them get much spam but still every now and then one appears and Hotmail have still not failed me. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.