Microsoft has just released Internet Explorer 7.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by wilbertnl, Oct 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Thanks Erik -I had planned on creating a Rollback snapshot before installing IE7, but I was just curious if MS had built-in provisions for reverting. ;)

2. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I just tried that URL in IE7, and it took just short of 10 seconds to load. The only thing that isn't complete is being able to run Windows Media Player Core for which a yellow alert appears at the top asking if you trust the add-on to click there.

I tried it in Firefox too, but seemed to take a bit longer there to load. Strange world.

However, subsequent visits to the same site produces about the same load-up time for both browsers, and I have the fetch most recent page option enabled in each of the browsers.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2006
  3. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

There is no problem what so ever in going back to IE 6.

Internet Explorer 7 support
    Bubba

4. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Well, I took a chance tonight and jumped into the IE 7 pool. :D I did an Image for DOS first in case things went ugly... Installing IE 7 took a good deal longer to load than what I thought it would. But it did seem to install ok.

I must say that I do not like the interface at all. Change is one thing but why separate the Back and Forward from the Reload and Stop? (Is there any way to fix this?) Also, being on creepy slow dialup (which I am on at home) means the phishing filter cannot be on at all. With it on, browsing slows to a snail's pace.

I was glad to learn that QuickSet Internet Zone (the closet thing to NoScript I've found for IE) from TerabyteUnlimited still works.

Overall, I don't see much that is truely improved. They've added tabs and a phishing filter. It still has a potential ActiveX hole you could drive a truck through (just a couple of clicks away from anything unsavory.)

Based on my initial impressions, because of all the interface changes, I'm not looking forward to getting some of my less knowledgeable associates used to running IE 7. It will be like starting all over again... :mad:

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Internet Explorer 7, another MS Application created by Microsoft’s Most Valuable Professionals (MVPs).
    It has to be good and it's free.

6. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Good? Are you sure? We are already seeing its first security hole shortly after its official release to the public.
    And its user interface is just a copycat, from looking at some features like the search box,... delete browsing history is a copycat of firefox's Clear Private Data tool LOL what a joke I must say.

To begin with, IE7's just like a toy to be played with. Not suitable for minors aged 3 and below. :D:D:D

7. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

When I was using IE7 Beta 2 and I ran Wallbreaker test 3, it was able to run IE6 (interface, no tabs, etc). I guess, that IE7 Beta 2 left some files, so that people could return to IE6? But since IE7 is Final, it may be fixed, but I can not test it, I removed IE6 with nLite, just for sure.

8. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Sorry, I forgot to put a sarcastic rolling eyes smiley at the end of my post. It's a smiley-mistake, I mean IE7 is a mistake. :rolleyes:

I'm a dedicated Firefox user. Firefox is created by Mozilla's Most Intelligent Professionals (MIPs). :)

9. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I'm not too bothered about the interface, but I think the tabs could have been made a bit smaller, a bit like those in Firefox. I think if they had put all the main icons along with the Address Bar with smaller tabs underneath, they would have had slightly more room for a web page.

10. TairikuOkami

F11 - Fullscreen will make more room for the webpage, but without classic favorites. :'(

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

IE 7 is really slow at downloading pages.

12. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Have you tried disabling the new Phising feature ?

Tools\Internet Options\Advanced tab....down in the Security section their is a Phising Filter setting. Try disabling that to see what happens :doubt:

13. SSK

SSK Registered Member

Odd, IE7 is rendering faster then Fx 2 RC3 for me...

14. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i used the IE tweak someone posted on another thread but thanks anyway.

but i dont know if i have to put it in to registry on every account or not.
    the tweak allows to use more than 16 servers a bit like faster fox in firefox which i miss since its not supported in ff 2 beta.

15. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Since there is no need to use a tweak when disabling Phising....which tweak are you speaking of :doubt:

If you are speaking of the maxconnectionsper_server tweak....that tweak can cause more harm than good not only for Web Forums you visit but can contribute to distant servers rejecting your queries sometimes :ouch:

16. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

....as compared to this IE7 which was not created by Most Valuable Professionals but rather Most Vain Professionals (The MVP short form is a marketing trick to make us believe that it was developed by Most Valuable Professionals)! :D

Personally I have not installed IE7 yet and don't plan to install it in the next few days.

17. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i do see your point but i have put that info in the registry and dont know how to get it out IMO i wish i hadent done it now. the stupid thing is the phising filter checks the microsoft update site IMO it should have a white list and at least have there own site in it.

18. TairikuOkami

You can Reset all IE's settings completelly, it will leave almost nothing left.
    To disable Phishing "feature" via registry, you can put into your reg file this:
    Code:
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\PhishingFilter]
    "Enabled"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\1]
    "2301"=dword:00000003

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\2]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\3]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\4]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.