Microsoft: Hackers launch millions of Java exploits

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by ronjor, Nov 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

https://www.infoworld.com/d/security/microsoft-hackers-launch-millions-java-exploits-180311

2. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

I'm glad I canned Java a while back. I have been Java free for a while now and can't really tell that it is missed for anything.

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Ditto. ;)

4. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I uninstalled Java about a year ago and don't miss it.

5. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

6. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Just goes to show once again how keeping things up to date can mitigate the risks enormously.

7. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

+1

I removed it from my computer a few month back and as it looks, I really don't need it. It turns out, I was installing it just out of habit.

8. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

So many people are buying into the "it's best to remove Java entirely" hype. I keep it for the few times I need it, and it has never been exploited. You just have to keep it up to date and restrict it accordingly, and there's nothing to be afraid of.

9. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

It's like Flash. All this may affect most people, who don't got a clue of all this, but I don't get it why people who are suppose to be aware of this are so scared either. Just enable it on a per site basis or have it disabled until you need it, and then only allow for the site you need.

What's wrong with this approach?

10. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Nothing at all :)

11. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Apparently Chrome restricts IPC to plugins, which is why some of these exploits haven't been working on it. That's the only thing I can think of.

So EMET + Chrome will just have to be enough for me lol I have no other choice until Win8 gets support.

12. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

I'm not afraid of Java exploits and I do know how to update and restrict it. But I just don't see a point in installing software that I don't need or use.

13. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Your approach is fine, and it applies to any software - If you don't need it, ditch it.

But, many are victims of FUD, and people who were suppose to know better. They don't know whether or not they need it, but still due to attacks to it, that can be blocked if they really wanted to, they uninstall it. Why? o_O

But, yes, if you don't need it at all, then why have it? :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.