Microsoft DreamSpark Program

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ambient_88, Aug 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

Hello,

First things first: This offer is only good for those who reside in the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, China, Germany, France, Finland, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and Belgium.

Some of you have probably heard about this, but to those who have not Microsoft has this program for students called DreamSpark. If you're currently attending an accredited university in one of the countries listed above, you'll be able to download professional-level applications free of charge. The following are the products currently offered:

• Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Professional Edition
    • Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition
    • Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition
    • Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition
    • Microsoft Expression Studio
    • XNA Game Studio 2.0 (w/ XNA Creators Club Online)
    There are other free tools available too, but anyone can download them without having to get verified as a student.

I just couldn't believe it when I first heard about this. It was really nice of Microsoft to give these applications free of charge to eligible students. I've personally downloaded all of them, but I only use VS 2005 & 2008 and Expression Studio. Adobe has a similar offering, but it only includes Adobe Flex Builder 3, which I also use. I'm hoping Adobe will do the same for some of their Creative Suite products.

Microsoft DreamSpark: https://downloads.channel8.msdn.com/

2. KookyMan

KookyMan Registered Member

To others, I decided to look at this. This is legit. Verified it through MS's main website, and they do have a press release on it.

You need a Passport ID (online version, not a paper passport), and need to be verifiable as a student.

If your a student, this seems to be a good deal. MS also does something similar with Microsoft Office Ultimate 2007. You can purchase it for $59.99. (This is not the Home and Student edition, this is the full version, list price of $679, (Amazon price of $519). Same rules as above applies, you need to be a registered student and verifiable. Even if you don't need MSO Ultimate, you can't beat $59.99 as opposed to Home and Student for $149 (Amazon list $89).

The MS Office promotion is called "The Ultimate Steal," its not on the Microsoft domain, but I checked it out earlier in the summer and is legit as well. The site is: http://www.theultimatesteal.com/. It is not currently available (due to its a time limited offer, usually a month each side of the start of school I think) but it is recurring and is set to resume Aug 20 according to the site.

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

how many computers can the ms office 07 ultimate version from the ultimate steal be insalled on?

4. KookyMan

I don't think there are any changes to the license, so I'm going to guess 1. You'd have to read a EULA for it. Sorry I can't be more specific, I didn't buy one. (I learned of it about 3 days before the last timeframe expired and I used Open Office.)

5. ambient_88

You can install it on two computers that you own (MS assumes laptop and desktop... typical of college students). I got my copy of Office Ultimate 2007 through "The Ultimate Steal." It is legit and is a really good deal.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thanks.
    does anyone know if there is any office xp professtional removal tools for xp?
    i have microsoft office xp professtional on my xp machine and it cannot check for updates. i even contacted microsoft and one point and they couldnt solve the issue. so i want to make sure its fully uninstalled before installing office 2007 to make sure it works properly and can get the updates.

7. ambient_88

I don't think there's a removal tool for Microsoft Office. Don't you have an image without Office installed? If not, then I would uninstall using Revo Uninstaller or you can just use the normal uninstaller.

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

no i do not have a image without office installed. i didnt really use images on that machine for quite along time.

9. KookyMan

Well, if you installed Office XP, do a nice fresh install. OS and everything. Or just install alongside/overtop (aka upgrade) it. It will probably remove the existing office installation before installing the new one.

There should be an add/remove entry in the control panel though. It might not say remove, it might say Modify, but modify it by uninstalling each component individually. (Or you might hit Modify, and it presents 3 options once the Office installer starts. Modify, Repair, (and in little letters) Remove.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.