[Microsoft] Codeplex... feeding you cookies...

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by m00nbl00d, Jul 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I think that a few days ago I downloaded some app from Codeplex.com, and I was able to download without having to allow cookies... which would be crazy having to allow them, just so I could download something.

Anyway, moments ago I wanted to download some programs, and I wasn't able. I disabled AdBlock Plus, DNT+, etc., and still couldn't download anything, at all. I finally decided to allow cookies :mad:, and there you go... it's possible to download the files.

And, I remember that not so long ago Microsoft bashed Google for bypassing browser's privacy settings. So what? What's the difference between bypassing some browser's privacy policies and forcing you to allow cookies, when these very same cookies are 100% unnecessary for the task to complete (to download some file)? The end goal is the same - break our privacy.

I mean, it's not like we have to register to download (which would be 100% crazy as well), so why force us cookies? :ouch:

:thumbd:

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

There's a mighty big difference between bypassing security settings to add 3rd party tracking cookies, and requiring a 1st party cookie for site functionality.

You may debate why cookies are required for download functionality (probably download tokens), but it's worlds different from the Google issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.