Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer to retire within 12 months

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by stapp, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Actually, I don't, I just picked up on the link from another site. To me, the market is pretty unpredictable, and I don't even try to do anything there... way out of my league :)

2. guest

guest Guest

So we shall see... :D

The world has already ended, we just need to wait for the official announcement *glance at the comments of the popular channel on YT and FB*.

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, Win2k was probably my all time favorite OS from MS. It seemed rock solid, never gave me any problems.... I resisted XP for a long time, then eventually switched over around 2005 or so I think...

4. guest

guest Guest

That probably explains at why some government offices in my place are still using 2K.

5. SweX

SweX Registered Member

The new CEO needs to think...differently, that's all I will say :D

6. guest

guest Guest

No, the new CEO needs to think properly. Being different is just not enough.

7. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Properly yes, but also differently. One part of me wouldn't mind if Bill Gates came back actually. Well, he may not be much different, but he thinks properly that's for sure. :D

8. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I remember learning about word processing on Win 2000. I then bought a computer with XP.

9. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

It wasn't bad but for me NT 4.0 was the most stable OS I have ever used. I miss them both. Though it was nowhere near as stable, I miss Windows 95 most of all. It moved computing ahead in a way that no version since has. I'm waiting to see what a new CEO will bring to the party.

10. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

I don't know. A true CEO needs to lead...and lead well. That leadership is a huge responsibility and comes at a cost. Most of the time the blame is pushed towards the CEO; even if he/she is doing a fine job as it is.

As for the world, I'd be more worried about the asteroid than the upset guy.

11. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Has it? Update me when they announce it. You know...everything they say on the web must be true.

12. SweX

SweX Registered Member

13. SweX

SweX Registered Member

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-08-24/microsoft-ceo-ballmer-said-to-discuss-exit-in-2010.html

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  14. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

15. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Bailing out after giving birth to an abomination . . . W8.

16. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

nah nah nah nah hey hey hey goodbye.....(while the crowd continues to chant and the oh so familiar music plays as he walks out)

17. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  18. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Wow! That's the first time I've seen those commercials for Windows. Ballmer genuinely is barmy, I mean ... total barm pot barmy ... o_O

19. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

20. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Yes, important difference. I haven't followed Ballmer much. I wonder to what extent he (Vs others at MS) was responsible for pushing the Windows 8 Metro UI? I hope that whoever replaces him will be more responsive to feedback from customers. In particular I hope we eventually get another version of Windows that is optimized for the desktop instead of a dysfunctional hybrid.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  21. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I think they'll have to eventually. The home user desktop market isn't dead yet (and probably never will be), and I know the corporate desktop market is far from dead too. It's in their best interests to do this. I think they just need to experience their mobile market failure first, then they should return to sanity. :)

22. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

23. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505125_162-51059306/what-is-forced-ranking/

I worked for a company that used such a system.

24. Victek

Victek Registered Member

What I find particularly telling in this excerpt is Steve Ballmer's response to the question about stack ranking creating a noncollaborative atmosphere:

"Now, whether our existing performance-management system needs to change to meet the goal of fostering collaboration is something that Lisa Brummel [head of human resources] would take up."

Does Mr Ballmer not know if the system works to foster or discourage collaboration?

25. guest

guest Guest

No matter how much Windows 8 has pleased me I have to admit that it's true.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.