Microsoft Cancels Windows 7 Service Pack 2

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by PJC, Oct 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

With almost 8 years of support left on Win 7, I don't see how they, or anyone else, could conclude at this point in time that a SP2 isn't needed. :)

2. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Because people keeping up with updates the second Tuesday of every month should be quite enough? All an SP is these days is a batch of recent patches (Not including all patches released like the old days) and an enhancement here and there, one of which you should have already gotten through Windows Update and the other that is usually covered by the first service pack. If you're not keeping up with updates..well, that isn't their problem, now is it? :D

Regardless, if MS deems one necessary, they'll do it. If they don't, they won't, and it'll have nothing to do with shoving Windows 8 down any throats because they can't.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yeah, I have to agree with you there.. I don't think it has anything to do with pushing 8. It may have more to do with a general change in policy regarding service packs...

4. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

The link itself says so, yes. I don't really blame them for the move as it is less expensive for them and, honestly, I can't see how smaller updates on a monthly basis wouldn't be easier on both home users and especially businesses.

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

The only time I can see it being a problem is when you do a new clean install of an original pre-sp1 Win 7 disk, then having to go thru all the updates takes a considerable amount of time... I just did exactly that a few days ago, and to install, update and do everything took almost 6 hours.... But now with images and so on, I won't ever have to do it again.

6. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Well, that accounts for pretty much... everybody in the entire world minus the few with the ability to build their own boxes.

Then once you buy a new box, or even if you build your own with Vista/7/8 they make it a complete nightmare to reinstall an older version/OS if you don't like it. I've seen so many shady tactics while trying to do so: grey out the option to reinstall XP. When you get to the license agreement, disable the F8 button so you cannot agree to it. Flat out BSOD your box when the reformat gets half way through (instead of just telling you you can't do it and saving you the trouble). You're forced either having to slave the drive, boot from another and write zeros to it, or buying a new HD altogether.

It's forced upon you, then is made incredibly difficult to get rid of once it's there. How exactly is that much different from malware, please enlighten me?... I will NEVER install an OS like that on a machine that I own.

So please excuse me if I don't just blindly eat up your PR here like mom's apple pie.

7. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Windows 8 can be downgraded to Windows 7 with no issue, minus situations using the Personal Use License for System Builder or the 40 dollar upgrade version. No PR here, just facts. You're overstating the case because you dislike Windows 8 and how MS is doing things. You're not getting Windows 8 evidently, so why worry over it? I'm not getting it either, I don't want nor need it. The people who buy their new systems from stores can downgrade and can safely get away from this "malware" :rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  8. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Its faster to install a service pack than all the individual updates (and less reboots), but in reality if you are needing to do this frequently enough to affect productivity significantly you should be utilising system images for quicker restore.

Service packs are also very useful if you have mixed hardware/configurations as MS provides a big download that includes everything for offline deployment (not everywhere in the world has fast/unlimited internet access).

As Windows has got more and more reliable (especially with Windows 7), reinstallation of Windows is generally less needed and the importance of service packs is less IMHO.

Moving onto Windows 8, I think it would be much harder to support Windows 8 service packs due the many different versions of the OS - Windows 8 Pro for x86/x64, Windows 8 RT for ARM and Windows 8 for Windows Phone all built off the same core OS.

Cheers, Nick.

9. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I believe you're, to the contrary, understating things. If you don't believe that forcing 8 upon people is one (perhaps of several) motivating factors behind this move, you're naive... intentionally or otherwise.

What, me worry? Just trying to interject some objectivity into these matters. Up until I chimed in blacknight was the only person capable of this feat, and I figured they may feel lonely.

It is good news though that if one decides they don't like it, they're actually able to reformat their boxes and install an older version of Windows without a process akin to pulling teeth. Unlike in Vista & 7.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  10. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I'm reminded of how much this sucks as I just installed Windows 7 for a new employee today and am running the first round of updates which numbers 126. I'm sure there will be more when the first 126 is finished as there will be updates for some of those updates. :mad:

11. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, it takes several hours. On mine the other day, the first round of updates was about 126 or so, then after that, several more which take some time, then of course there's SP1 which takes about 50 minutes to do, then after that, there are some more.... I spent a good 4+ hours on the install and updates alone.....

12. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

This point about being able to "downgrade" to W7 from W8 interests me!

Do you happen to have a link that provides more information on that?

13. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Yes, I linked this in an earlier post: http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-8-pro-includes-some-downgrade-rights. Some may continue to argue that isn't good enough, but, well, it is what it is. At least it is possible to do so, even if it may not be under our most favorable conditions.

14. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

You are right it isn't favourable at least to me. This is what concerns me

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.