Microsoft Buys Rootkit Detection Startup

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ronjor, Mar 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. controler

controler Guest

How did this discussion drift off to Symantec ? LOL

Easter, What do you replace Norton with on your client's PC's?

I am currently trying KAV again and I hate how it slows down my page loads.

AS you know I have tried everything out there and they miss things but i am not about to load my system down with a bunch of Kernel level software. We all know where that leads. BSOD"S !!!!!!! and other things that don't show up right away.

Maybe with this aqusition, MS will be able to intergrate it into their OS with less troubles? Who knows? Only time will tell.

Most of the best ARK's don't seem to stick around long. MS buys them up :)even though most of those programmer did and do still create new technology to defet AKR's.
    Does anyone have any of Microsoft's latest rootkit samples?

con

2. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

If we're talking about the latest incarnations, Symantec is fine. It performs relatively badly on foreign regional malware, but for European/US users it provides good protection - I'm seriously wondering if it's overtaken NOD32 already. Bashing the big brands are just a common pastime of many self-styled experts who often don't even know what they're talking about, let alone doing.

3. Hermescomputers

Hermescomputers Registered Member

Actually I think the same argument can be made against MS Internet Explorer as Microsoft is the Prime target due to it's enormous install base, I can only guess that Symantec suffers from a similar situation, ie compromise the products themselves and you successfully did the deed... (Infections & Hacks/Hijacks). This being said, Symantec products are not selected by corporate and SOHO or recommended by consultants because they are crap...

However I have the same experience as many who write here... I uninstall so many symantec products because they cause too many issues... I sometimes have the feeling they spend to much focus on copy protections and fluff, instead of the core service they attempt to provide... This may be a mis perception but I would not say their products are crap... At least not yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.