Microsoft AntiSpyware v1.0.701 beta1 - Slow access to certain Windows from Start Menu

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by JLamy, Dec 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JLamy

JLamy Registered Member

I recently installed Microsoft AntiSpyware v1.0.701 beta1 onto a new install of Windows XP Pro SP2. After activating the real time protection function, I have noticed that access to the following windows from the Start Menu would cause a 2 second delay before they open:
    • Control Panel
    • Network Connections
    • Printer and Faxes
    • My Documents
    • My Pictures
    The delay is not there once I shut down MS AntiSpyware or disable the real time protection, so logic says something to do with MS AntiSpyware causing this. I have tried disabling different parts of the real time protection to see if I can narrow down which bit was causing this problem, but had not made any difference. I would like to know if anyone has experienced this, and have worked out a solution.

2. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    Re: Microsoft AntiSpyware v1.0.701 beta1 - Slow access to certain Windows from Start

Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta is heavy on a system, and your experience can be a natural thing to happen for anyone using this program. But overall, MS antispyware is a very good program and it has lots of real-time agent monitors compared to others I have tried... but the problem was that it can really slow down your system. :oops: Some who have a very fast pc and large RAM memory I think didn't experience any of the problem you've mentioned.

I have just uninstalled my Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta and noticed an improvement of speed in my system. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2006
  3. JLamy

JLamy Registered Member

Re: Microsoft AntiSpyware v1.0.701 beta1 - Slow access to certain Windows from Start

You may be right for people with older systems, but I have Athlon XP 2800+, with 1GB of RAM so I think my system is fairly fast. During the time when I am waiting for the above windows to open, according to task manager my CPU utilisation is zero percent so I don't think its a matter of it being heavy on my system. It either doing some check, or it had made a registry entry for delay? I have no problems opening 'My Documents' by double click on desktop icon - window opens up pretty much instantly. A strange one this.

4. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the

Actually, many have already starting to realize that many of the Anti-spyware programs that runs automatically when pc starts-up can really affect some other "things" on the system. What I mean was that... several softwares (can sometimes) have the same or similar functions that may result in some unknown or unnoticeable system malfunctions or it may hogs or affects some way or another. :)

Example of this was that when using several HIPS programs... it may really results in some system slow down for some that instead of a snap it will only results in a sssnap when opening something in our pc. :p

[bounce]http://img52.exs.cx/img52/2236/lovebirds3ed.gifhttp://img52.exs.cx/img52/2236/lovebirds3ed.gifhttp://img52.exs.cx/img52/2236/lovebirds3ed.gif[/bounce]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.