Microsoft AntiSpyware Problem

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Uffbros, Nov 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uffbros

Uffbros Registered Member

I just updated to the new 1.0.701 and I get an error which I am attaching. I installed over the old..Then removed it and installed clean...Disabled my antivirus program to install and still get this error upon installing and removing. What could be causing this? Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Uffbros

Anyoneo_O??

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Did a google for "error 1904 microsoft antispyware".

Google

4. Uffbros

I tried all the suggestions there and still get the same thing....Unbelievable

5. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Well, good luck uninstalling Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta 1. I have done it several times with the Add/Remove from Control Panel capability, or so I thought!

I have done it once more, and then deleted the C:\Program Files\... folder for it.

I then went into the Registry to look at how many remnants of it were left: the count came to 145o_O Wow, it just won't be deleted. So, I tried downloading the Microsoft Install Clean Up utility, and since I had already deleted the folder, I assumed it would pick up on the registry entries that are now orphaned after the Add/Remove - not so! Lots of left oer crap!

The problem I was having was with updates. I knew there were new updates but it was constantly telling me I was up-to-date with 5733 after one of the uninstall/reinstalls of the 7/18/2005 Beta 1.0 release. The only thing was that my previous release was issue #5765, and now there are at least #5777!

I'm going to clean out the registry (by hand) of all of the keys I found looking for the string "AntiSpyware", except the ones I ignored that are not related.

When the New Year turns, Beta 2 is supposed to be out, so I think I will wait for that.

The only thing I can recommend to others is to use a tool like Total Uninstall to do the installation to begin with, so that when you need to uninstall by using Total Uninstall, you can make a clean slate of it before the next release is installed (with Total Uninstall or similar tool that compares the registry before and after including system files).

-- Tom

6. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Hi Uffbros,

Try looking at some of the discussion at the microsoft community newsgroups concerning Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta 1 - webpage search results for Error 1904:
    http://www.microsoft.com/communitie...&pt=&catlist=&dglist=&ptlist=&exp=&sloc=en-us

-- Tom

7. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

A couple of things I noted in my searches and something you may have seen also was the fact dealing with Admin.

Two things I noted were suggested:
    1) It needs to be an Admin account
    2) It needs to be the Admin account that originally installed the previous version.

None of that may hold true but it was mentioned in quite a few discussion threads I ran across.

8. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

im still using giant lol not gaim to try msoft yet ! :eek: :eek:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.