microsoft antispyware and microsoft office incompatable

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Griogair, Jan 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Griogair

Griogair Registered Member

this is the second time now that this has happened to me....

i have now installed microsoft antispyware on both my dads computer and now his partners work computer....

the problem is...that now on both occations....microsoft office is F**Ked!! o_O

after installation of antispyware....if i click an office document...i get the message:

(in a pop up)

the feature you are trying to use is on a cd rom or other removable disk. insert the office 2000 profetional disk and press ok.

then if i go to brows instead.. it seems to be looking for a file with the name 'DATA1'

both computers have legitimate copies of all office etc software...

but at the time do not know where they are...and more importantly why i now need to use the disk if it has already been installed.??

is there a know compatability problem here as it has happened on 2 computers now.

could anyone help please??

2. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Tried repairing Office?

3. Griogair

do you mean go through the control panel then to add and remove then instead of remove going to repair that wayo_O

4. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Yep. Might be worth a shot....

5. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

I think going the "Help/Detect and Repair" route in any Office application menu could be more practical and convenient but I can't be sure snce you don't mention which version of Office.

6. Griogair

ill try the one on control panel first...as i get the prompted cd rom message when i try to launch office

ill get back to you in a while though...as my mate works for it in the council and has an office cd for me..

7. Griogair

its microsoft office profitional 2000

and i cant uninstall or reinstall or fix the problem still as it says it canl locate the file data1.msi

and then quits

can someone help please....this is getting my dads partner/me into a bit of trouble with her company!

starting to get a bit flustered with it :oops:

8. crofttk

OK, sorry to hear you're in a fix ! I've never run Office 2000 (I have 2003 Pro) -- but my suggestion is moot if you can't get into any Office app.:(

You've run into one of my pet peeves where, even with Microsoft, software is installed from a CD or involving temporary files and then behaves as if it's your fault that the installation source is no longer present when you want to uninstall/repair/reinstall, much less has to depend at all on the original installation source !:mad:

Myself, I would be into the registry removing ALL traces of Office and manually removing Office from the hard drive and then reinstalling. However, you need a supply of intestinal fortitude, some registry savvy, and a ***backup*** to go down that road without ending up worse off, especially when it comes to MS's many tentacled software monsters.:eek:

(On second thought, I would have located the registry entry for the Office installation source first and tried manually modifyng that to point to "data1.msi"s location on the CD or to whichever folder I have manually copied it to from the CD before going the more drastic route but it's not clear to me that that simple hack would help your specific situation -- this approach would certainly entail less risk...)

Good Luck sorting it, mate, and sorry I don't have a more constructive specific suggestion for you at this point.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2006
  9. crofttk

10. Griogair

thanks for the replys...

believe it or not...using system restore was enough to get rid of the problem

office really pisses me off sometimes...i uninstalled it from my comp.

was worried for a while....would hate to be the one to get her into trouble at work.!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.