Microsoft Advances Search Privacy with Bing

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Keyboard_Commando, Jan 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

Source

2. SteveTX

SteveTX Registered Member

Lol. "We are going to invade your privacy for a shorter amount of time" = We advanced privacy!

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Interesting. I've been using Yauba as a search engine for a while, but somewhat disappointed by it's frequent downtime lately with no news on the subject. It just seems to be becoming sterile.

I might consider changing home page to Bing. Anyone else already done so, and what do you think of its search results?
    Also, any other search recommendations that are privacy-friendly, but give strong results?

4. SteveTX

SteveTX Registered Member

ixquick and scroogle.

5. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

BingSearch_7846588C.JPG

^^ So this lot is removed immediately, protecting the user privacy fears.

^^ So this must be the chunks of data that identify an individual, stuff from the de-identification process, but they are just broken up into seperate pieces, so as to never highlight a particular users information all at the same time. They don't specify if these cross-session IDS can ever be linked up and provided into complete data. Joining the dots.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong. Still don't trust them :p

6. elapsed

Thanks Steeve, I was only just starting to like bing when I tried out https://startpage.com/ (by ixquick)

Really loving it, especially the fact that it has SSL. Seems to be a light page, so loads quick, making it a suitable homepage. Thanks much for pointing it out.

Will trial it for a few days. Just wondering right now, it doesn't seem possible to use it as a Firefox search bar?

EDIT: You can access the European (Netherlands) servers with https://eu.startpage.com/

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  7. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

8. elapsed

That's the page I was on, but I reckon since I'm using minefield it didn't work. Booting up Firefox stable and adding it, then witching back to Minefield worked.

Unfortunately browsing the EU site gives the American plugin, trying to figure out a way to get a European plugin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.