Methods to bruteforce bad header with known keyfile (TrueCrypt)?

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by zeweaver, Oct 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zeweaver

zeweaver Registered Member

I recently lost the ability to decrypt a non-system partition encrypted by TrueCrypt (rolling cypher, Serpent-Twofish-AES). When I tried to mount the partition via keyfile, it said "Incorrect keyfile(s) and/or password or not a TrueCrypt volume." After accessing and restoring a known good backup of the keyfile, I concluded that my header was corrupted.

After that, I tried to restore the volume's header using the backup built into the partition itself. (I created this encrypted partition within the past 6 months, so I know that it was encrypted by a version 6.0+ of Truecrypt.) This failed too... does this mean that I have corrupted one of the bits of both the front and rear 1024-bits of my partition? If so, what methods could I use to recover my partition? I'm sure that it might be possible to brute-force within a reasonable amount of time, since I know the keyfile, but I need a set method to do so. (As a side-note, there are 1,048,576 possible combinations for the TrueCrypt header.)

Does anyone have a suggested method to bruteforce combinations of the header with a known keyfile?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.