Merging partitions

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by forbesie, Sep 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. forbesie

forbesie Registered Member

Hi to all the brainy buggers out there,
    I have the following setup on my PC.
    2 x hard drives. Both with XP pro installed. If I told you why I've got it set up this way I'd have to kill you:D
    Disk Director is installed on the large drive (1st drive) and I dual boot the OS's.
    On the 2nd drive I need to merge the C: partition with an adjacent partition because C is running out of space.
    This is what I tried:
    I booted into 1st drive then with DDS tried to merge the 2nd drives partitions mentioned.
    Result: After a considerably amount of time analysing the situation, DDS **** itself.
    Heeelllppp pleaseo_O:oops:

2. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

forbesie:

"Merge" is the wrong function to use. Or rather, if you use it you risk losing data if anything goes wrong.

The operation you want is "Resize". Try these steps:

1. Start DD.
    2. Right-click on the partition that is adjacent to the one you want to expand and choose "Resize".
    3. Drag the left border of the partition to the right to make the partition smaller and create uncommitted free space between the two partitions.
    4. Click on the checkered flag to commit. This operation may take a little time to complete if there is a lot of data to move in the adjacent partition.
    5. After completion of step 4, check the result. You should now have free space between the two partitions.
    6. Right-click on the partition that you want to be larger and choose "Resize"
    7. Drag the right border of the C partition to the right until there is no more free space between partitions.
    8. Commit and check the results. Your C partition on drive 2 should now be larger and the adjacent partition should be smaller.

If you really do want to have only one partition then try the above steps first. When successful, copy the data off the adjacent partition and paste it into the C partition using Windows Explorer. Depending on how much data you have this may have to be done in a couple of iterations. Or, if you have room somewhere else, copy your data there temporarily. When you have removed all files from the partition, delete it using DD. Then resize the C partition until it fills the entire disk.

Hope this helps. Let us know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.