Merge C:\ and D:\ on Vista?

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by I Am Herenow, May 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I Am Herenow

I Am Herenow Guest

2. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

The "Merge" function in Disk Director copies the contents of one partition into another, and then combines both partitions into one single partition. This only works when both partitions are on the same hard disk. In your case, your two partitions are on different hard disks.

You could try using Vista Disk Management to convert your C partition and your second disk into Dynamic Volumes, and then combine them into one large volume. However, be aware that Dynamic Volumes have limitations, one of which is that they will not work with conventional partitioning software and imaging software like Acronis Disk Director or Acronis True Image, and another is that conversion is a one-way street so you will be unable to convert back to basic volumes without reformatting. So consider the pros/cons carefully before converting. Here is a Microsoft KB article about Dynamic Volumes that was written for XP but should also be applicable to Vista.

Personally, I would recommend using the second hard drive for your data. Keep the OS and programs where they're at now and move all of your personal files to the second disk. Then if disaster strikes and the OS disk crashes, your personal files will be unaffected.

3. I Am Herenow

I Am Herenow Guest

4. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

I don't have any experience with using Dynamic Volumes, but I believe that the message is just informing you that, if you proceed, your computer will only be able to boot from Disk 0. Since that's the disk containing Vista and WinRE, that should be OK.

However, Disk 1 will not be able to be used for booting operating systems as long as it remains a dynamic volume. If you're only going to use it for files then that's fine. You would have to convert it back to a basic volume if, at some future date, you decide to put a second operating sytem (like Linux, for example) on the second disk.

5. I Am Herenow

I Am Herenow Guest

So hang on, if I choose both disks (i.e. both 0 and 1) to be converted, will that be OK?

6. thecreator

thecreator Registered Member

Hi I Am Herenow,

You can't merge two different Hard Drives into one.

What is the purpose of trying to merge two Hard Drives?

Are you going to remove the smaller Hard Drive?

Yes, you can run one Hard Drive partition, but why? If the Hard Drive crashes you lost everything. Why not partition the Hard Drive?

7. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

That's what you need to do to convert both disks to dynamic volumes. After conversion you can span both volumes into one huge C: drive.

P.S. - I hope you read the Microsoft article about the conversion being one-way. After you do this you can't go back to basic disks without reformatting and reinstalling. But if that's what you want to do and you're aware of the ramifications then yes, click the "OK" button and proceed.

True for basic disks but not for dynamic disks. But I agree with your philosophy of having your data on a separate disk or on a separate partition from the operating system; that's what I prefer also and for the same reasons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.