Menu Bar blacking out

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by snapdragin, Nov 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

This may be a li'l bug that has already been reported or resolved with the new PE ver 1.2, but i have not yet up-dated to version 1.2 so i thought i'd report it here with a screencapture. This happens after i've had PE running for about 5 min or so....even if i close it and reopen it again, it still happens so it's not a one-time thing.

Pent4 with XP-Home SP1 - memory 521MB with Geforce2 64MB graphic card
    NOD32's Amon and POPscaner running
    TrojanHunter's Guard
    Filechecker ver 1.7 (PortExplorer is in Filechecker's "check list")
    and Ad-Watch running

i don't believe it's memory or graphic's card related because i don't have this happen with any other application, but thought i'd mention which one's i had just in case. :)

snap

Attached Files:

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Are you the one with the few older required system files? in the OCX kind? Would certainly try to update those to the latest if that would be the matter and see if it again.
    It's the first time i see this.

3. Disciple

Disciple Registered Member

I have this happening on my system also: P4 1533 MHZ, Video - NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pr, OS - XP home sp1 w/ all critical updates and driver updates installed.

Jooske, I must be having a senior moment as I do not follow you about the OCX files o_O. Just how would one go about updating these?

4. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

:) No it was not YOUR senior moment, i mixed some things and persons :)
    To be sure i just visited the portexplorer site and i don't see required systemfiles mentioned there, in fact the required system specifications are remarkable low!
    As many PE users are also TDS users, most people will have the required systemfiles TDS asks in this thread here (thanks to FanJ uptodate with the DCS site)
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=2906
    so this might be a reason why i did not read/hear from this problem before; if things don't display well in the GUI most of time it is one of the OCX files from that required list which could be updated. I also remember the recommendation there that XP users will be uptodate by definition as XP is very new so very seldom will need to update systemfiles, unless they installed some older software which might have overwritten original XP files. So have a look anyway.
    Hope this helps!
    If not, we'll dig deeper!

5. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Thanks Snap... I'll look into the problem.
    -Jason-

6. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi Jason! - i was doing a li'l testing today to see if i could duplicate the "blacking out" of the menu bar...and i can.

i was just about to type it out.

-----------
    sorry, got distracted...

well, i wanted to see if i could narrow down when the menu bar blacked out since it didn't seem to happen all the time....so i started by disabling (not closing though) the other scanning applications i have going all the time besides AMOM. Filechecker, Ad-watch, and TrojanHunter Guard.

keeping PE active, i enabled one at a time, waited a good hour then would scroll my mouse over PE's menu bar to see if it would black out....if it didn't, then i would disable the application i was checking and then enable the next one. i tried different variations of this to be sure of when it was happening and with what scanning application was scanning at the time. (NOD's AMON enabled all the time during this)

PE's view bar did not black out with Filechecker at all.
    it did black out with TrojanHunter's Guard...but that was well into an hour after i enabled TH's Guard.
    It blacked out almost within 15 min though with Ad-Watch enabled. When i tried that again a li'l while later...PE's view bar blacked out again but this time almost immediately after i enabled Ad-Watch again.

i did the above with AMON not ignoring the other two files (vdmdbg.dll and the psapi.dll) that were discussed in the other thread. When i made AMON exclude those two files and re-did the above test....the only time the menu bar blacked out then was when i enabled Ad-Watch.

i am only seeing this on the XP-Home...i am not seeing the same thing happening on the Win98se which has the very same applications running as the XP-Home does.

don't know if this helps or not...but thought i'd give a li'l more than just saying what's wrong.

snap
    ps. it doesn't interfer with PE's ability though...and if i move my mouse over the bar again, the words do highlight where i can still see them.

7. Jason_DiamondCS

I have received this same report from one other person and they said it seemed to happen randomly. None of us here at DiamondCS have seen the problem yet, but I will try and replicate it and fix it.
    -Jason-

8. me2

me2 Guest

I can confirm this bug.... it's happening to me on windows XP. One by one each of the menu items goes grey on me when pointed at.

9. Jason_DiamondCS

Hi, would you be able to send a screenshot "me" so I can see what it looks like? The more information I have on this unreproducable bug the better! :)
    -Jason-

10. Jason_DiamondCS

Some users have reported that this is fixed now. If you experienced this menu blackening bug before, please post here and tell me if its fixed =)
    -Jason-

11. ReGen

ReGen Registered Member

The problem has been fixed for me.
    Thanks. :D

12. Jason_DiamondCS

Glad to hear it Regen! :cool:
    -Jason-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.