Memory Usage

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by BuzzStone, Nov 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BuzzStone

BuzzStone Registered Member

Hi Frederic and Phant0m. You may remember me from a couple of months back. I was using the Vista F/W for the last little while and recently upgraded my computer, new motherboard etc. I decided to take another crack at LnS. I installed LnS on Nov.6. Everything seems to be working fine. My only observation is memory usuage as shown in Task Manager. Yesterday it was running at 152,000 Kb. After shutting down for the night and starting up this morning it was 3270 Kb. Tonight as I write this note it is at 72,900 Kb. This does not appear to impact my system, but any ideas as to why this is occurring? I have cleared the log and this has done nothing. Also, is there a way to disable logging?

2. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Hi BuzzStone,

Is this the memory column for 'Private Working Set'?, expand the memory column section to make sure...

3. BuzzStone

Yes it is.

4. Phant0m

Interesting, so you 'Remove All" on the Look 'n' Stop - Internet Filtering screen but it didn't help any? or much? ... I would investigate the Application filtering layer firstly, is there any application constantly connecting and being authorized or denied by Look 'n' Stop?

'List of active applications' on the Look 'n' Stop - Application filtering screen, is there any application appearing and disappearing frequently on that list?

5. BuzzStone

" Host Process for Windows Services "

6. Phant0m

I suppose it's possible, but I doubt it would be that, that system file is commonly used throughout windows. Have you installed many third-party softwares that connects? Any of them that you used while you were in that Windows session that had Look 'n' Stop application consume bit of memory?

I would suggest to constantly look at the Windows Task Manager, and monitor different applications CPU and Look 'n' Stop process memory usage and see if you can locate the culprit that way.

7. BuzzStone

Phant0m, I may have been a bit hasty with regards to Host Services. There were 3 instances of it in the log, and there are 2 now after morning start-up. So to be clear, something will show up in the active app log and then will in fact disappear from said log?

edit: I think it might be PunkBuster.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2007
  8. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi BuzzStone,

Could you confirm it is not linked to the content of the log ?
    Do you have frequent alerts put in the logs ?

Another user in the french forum reported a similar issue:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=188967
    but unfortunately also still under investigation.

Frederic

9. BuzzStone

Frederic, I'm not quite sure what you mean by "the content of the log", but the server of the game I was playing on was listed in the log numerous times. Punkbuster checks itself very frequently, so I think that is the reason for the memory usuage.

10. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

If the log page contains a lot of alerts that are not removed, it could create a high memory usage.
    Typically, you should not log allowed packets or allowed application.

What is most recent alert number when you observe the problem ?

Frederic

11. BuzzStone

Frederic, since I allowed a port on the game I play, the memory usage has dropped dramatically. The game uses PNKBSTRA.exe, which is ok, but I have to allow PNKBSTRB.exe each time as this must be a major part of the anti-cheat program and changes frequently. In any case things seem to be back to normal. Thanks for the help. I look forward to continuing the trial and purchasing this fine product.

12. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Ok, thanks for the update.

Did you have an alert for the port that was blocked before, or for the applications that were blocked ?

Frederic

13. BuzzStone

I don't think so but I may not be sure where to look. My log has numerous entries in it.

14. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

If you had numerous entries in the log, yes probably there was a blocking rule with its log attribute set, and the memory usage was coming from there.

Frederic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.