Memory question

Discussion in 'hardware' started by WilliamP, Feb 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

My daughter has a 2005 Dell XPS 400 computer. She was having problems which turned out to be with the memory. It wouldn't boot. The beep codes indicated a memory problem. I reset the memory sticks and that fixed it. But I noticed that it only had 512 mb of memory. I went to Dell's support website and using the Tag No. I checked for the memory type in the Parts and Upgrades section. It listed P6400 memory. So I ordered 2 gb of P6400. When I went to put it in I realized that the memory in the computer was P4200. So I removed the P4200 and installed the 2Gb of P6400. Everything seems fine. Now my questions. Will the two different speed memories run together? Will the P6400 run at 800mhz on this computer?

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

WilliamP, the new P6400 RAM can only run as high as the Specifications will allow it, which in your PC's case is 667MHz. However, the fact that you quadrupled the memory makes the lower MHz a mute point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.