Memory leakage somewhere, computer suffering

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Simon Phoenix, Dec 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon Phoenix

Simon Phoenix Registered Member

Hello, I have a 1.4 ghz, 256mb computer. When I run tune-up sofware and other programs they report only 190mb of memory, it's running slow, very slow, memory is struggling somewhere. I am in search of some help here to sove this problem, I run fprot and no firewall.

2. Arup

Arup Guest

Which browser are you currently using?

3. Simon Phoenix

firefox....

4. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Firefox has a memory leak

5. Simon Phoenix

pic1 folks

Attached Files:

6. Simon Phoenix

picture 2

Attached Files:

7. Simon Phoenix

picture 3, I know my laptop needs another 256 but this isn't right, my laptop never suffered memory problems like this when I ran a heavy av and firewall combo.

Attached Files:

8. Arup

Arup Guest

Do this, uninstall FF and try out Opera and see if the problem goes away.

9. Simon Phoenix

It's a bit faster but the question I have to ask is if my pc comes with 256mb, why is only 190 availible?

10. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

The OS takes a little of that memory just to run :)

11. Arup

Arup Guest

You can even limit Opera's memory use further by turning off Java and under preferences, specifying the amount of memory to use instead of automatic.

12. Alec

Alec Registered Member

Your utility programs are showing that you only have 15 MB of available physical RAM and that you are running with 46 processes, as I recall. You're undoubtedly getting a lot of paging activity. I would try my best to get that number of processes down to around 30-35. Start nuking some of that stuff that is questionable as startups like Quicktime, Adobe Reader pre-load, Java online update, Realtek Sound Manager, etc. Make sure that you aren't running with a bunch of unnecessary utilities and apps in other locations as well (that utility list looks like just the programs with entries in the Run registry key, check out Sysinternals Autoruns utility for more locations where these programs can hide). If you are convinced you have a process with a memory leak, you can use Performance Monitor (perfmon) to verify the condition by monitoring memory usage by process over time.

As to why the tools are reporting only 192MB out of your 256MB of physical memory? You probably are using a motherboard video solution (especially noting the SiS references shown) that takes 64MB of system RAM during boot-up and uses it for video RAM. Or you have some other low-level code claiming memory for its own use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.