Media Player Classic - Home Cinema (MPC-HC) Version Updates

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by guest, Jul 16, 2017.

1. guest

guest Guest

2. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Great news, thnx.

3. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Many thanks for showing this one by opening a topic for it.

It performs better than I expected by a long shot and where I was having trouble with the Playlists on VLC & SMPlayer, this one absolutely is tops!

No more fumbling through long lists that either taper off at the screen's edge and fail to scroll or some other aggravation.

4. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

SPlayer and SMPlayer. They're both good, free and have source code available under GPL. SMPlayer needs a little tweaking, I'd recommend SPlayer for the average guy.

5. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Thanks.

As a favor, could you pass me a link pointing to a safe official site? Please.

6. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

7. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

8. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Home Cinema is the Boss.

Trouble with a lot of free players at least from standpoint is that the playlists layout sucks.

I use a VBS Script to fashion directly from a folder of say Star Trek Vids and some of them use their own playlist variable.

Just want to drag n drop a windows .ASX and be done with it.

9. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I've been using SMPlayer for a few years, but I find with some videos it doesn't handle skipping to a different part of the video too well. I'm trying SPlayer now, and it looks like it could be a good replacement. Does it notify you when an updated version is available, like SMPlayer does?

Edit: It hasn't been updated for 6 years, so no doubt there won't be any updates any time soon. Not that this really concerns me.

I have been a giveaway Zoom Player MAX on occasion, but perhaps SPlayer can replace both this and SMPlayer. One plus point for Zoom Player, is that when its updater finds a program update, it warns you that updating the giveaway version will cause it to revert to the free version.

10. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Are there any major differences between the two? And to me it's not a big deal, the current version works just fine. I don't see how it can be improved even more.

11. guest

guest Guest

The GUI has a slightly different touch and it is black, which can be disabled.
    It has an integrated Website-parser (Youtube), support for even more codecs/filters, and some more small additions.
    If you hover over the seekbar with your mouse, a small preview can be shown, etc.

I only did a quick test of MPC-BE, maybe i have overlooked some features, but i like both (MPC-HC and MPC-BE) :)

Btw.: For users of HMP.A: even if MPC-BE is not in the list of protected applications, it must be excluded. Else it is crashing (at least on my system :cautious:)

12. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

Me too.
    Yep, same as for MPC-HC.

13. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Thanks, seems it might actually be even better than MPC-HC, will check it out.

14. reddice

reddice Registered Member

I have been using the BC version for years. I like the look and it is more stable than the HC version.

15. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Will MPC-BE be discontinued as well?

16. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

That's a very useful feature :thumb: more players should have it,
    shame we're talking a Windows only app.

17. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Just started using HC version courtesy this thread and it's already made top favorite on this end.

I'll also check on the BE version but this player is already sufficient for it's intended purpose and is showing marvelous improvment over what I had been relying on. No, it's no PowerDVD maybe but it definitely holds it's own as far as i'm concerned.

18. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

PowerDVD is hyped just IMHO. A lot of bells and whistles but I have encountered a few times in which cases PowerDVD could not play certain mkv files, while MPC-HC/BE played them without any glitch. Considering the kind of bloat that PowerDVD becomes, I'd prefer the small but highly efficient MPC-HC/BE.

19. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Absolutely 100% Correct. PowerDVD is stuffed with way too much overhead that also creates distracting overload instances (at least on this end).

FWIW, I am testing the BE version right now (Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea) and can already see and sense it will also do just fine as a replacement to all others.

I am one who is meticulously fierce where it concerns Playlist. You sometimes like to skip, jump straight into other one that might be distant in that List without going on a windows-like hunt, but this player handles that like a Dream come true. You can attach or as they say Dock that List Box under the player and see what's 0N and easily scroll to another designated show with convenience.

Then double click inside to go to FULL SCREEN and the playlist is hidden but still there after you minimize.

And haven't even explored all the other included features yet.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  20. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Anybody use foobar2001 1.3.16? Haven't used it since Pluto was a pup.

Also anything besides VLC others using. Something free, small, & ongoing development.

21. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

HC Playlist when you select View nicely docks it under the player as I mentioned above.

However, BE Playlist when selected seems to jump on top of the player controls and cuts off the video. Tried to drag it and resize it the same as HC but no luck so far.

Anyone else run into that little quirp? No real big deal since we have a choice but would be nice if it docked exactly the same as HC model.

22. ltsnow

ltsnow Registered Member

I have been using foobar2000 for years and love it. I love its simplicity and the main reason I use it is because of the ability to use tabs for my different playlists.

23. Beyonder

Beyonder Registered Member

No and MPC-HC is no longer being discontinued because some people reached out to the developer, so it's back on track being developed again.

24. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

That's great news. :thumb:

25. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Awesome news Beyonder.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.