Media Player Classic - Home Cinema (MPC-HC) Version Updates

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by guest, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Should this work on all videos? I'm not getting to see this.

2. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

It is not enabled by default.
    It can be enabled in MPC-BE\ View\ Options\ Player\ Interface\ tick "Use the preview in the search"

3. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Disregard the previous issue posted on the BE version. Found the issue and it was the end user.

4. Rasheed187

Thanks, it really works! Looks like an awesome feature.

5. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

6. Stupendous Man

Often, MPC-BE's SourceForge page doesn't show the latest MPC-BE Nightly build.
    Better sources for information regarding the latest MPC-BE Nightly are these:
    https://www.videohelp.com/software/MPC-BE
    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/mpc-be.htm
    and sometimes http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Video/Video-Players/MPC-BE.shtml

(By the way, as SUMo 'power user', I have been flagging MPC-BE Nightly builds as 'beta' for a while, lately. But as there's a new MPC-BE Nightly every couple of days, flagging as beta for SUMo was getting quite annoying, and because of that, recently, I decided to ignore MPC-BE updates in SUMo, and I stopped flagging them as beta.)

7. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

8. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Running into issues with this player and at least for now reverted back to VLC.

The problem seems to be if the player is left running avi/mp4 etc. videos (repeat playlist) say overnight, then by morning the whole machine's response is inhibited. In essence a reboot is needed to flush or reset memory/resources to clear it up.

This is evident on bOTH my Win 8.1 and Win 10 x64 systems. Not sure if it's a memory leak or just what is causing the increased lag after hours of usage.

Will try the Nightly Builds and see if any of those are not causing the issue too.

9. Stupendous Man

Do you mean MPC-HC, or MPC-BE?

10. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

MPC-HC

I'm still looking into it. On another system I think i'll duplicate the overnight time period with MPC-BE too with the same non-stop film/video runnings to see if similar situation shows or not.

11. Rasheed187

Weird, in the sandbox it works, but I installed it on my real system and now it crashes when I run it. Seems not to be stable, what a bummer.

12. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

I've had similar problem using it with EAM. I had to exclude it in EAM from monitoring so it could run. Do you have EAM installed?

13. Rasheed187

No, and I also don't receive any security alerts, it just crashes. Perhaps I need to download another version, but never had any problems with MPC-HC.

14. Minimalist

Yes, I also didn't get any alerts - just crash. I hope you find a solution to this problem.

15. Stupendous Man

MPC-HC or MPC-BE?
    Do you use HitmanPro.Alert, perhaps?
    If so, you need to ad MPC-HC/ MPC-BE as HitmanPro.Alert exclusion(s).

16. Rasheed187

I was talking about MPC-BE, and I'm not using HMPA. I don't think it's caused by any security tool. I will later install the new version and report back.

17. Minimalist

OK, I misunderstood you. I was talking about MPC-HC.

18. Stupendous Man

Which MPC-BE version were you using?
    MPC-BE 1.5.0 stable release, or one of the Nightly releases?
    If one of the Nightly releases, which one?
    x86 or x64?
    Does MPC-BE crash when you open/start/run the program, or when you try to play a media file?
    If MPC-BE doesn't crash when you open/start/run the program, but when you try to play a media file - which media file formats cause it to crash?
    With MPC-BE 1.5.0 x64 stable (portable version), I tested .mp4, .flv, .mts, .mp3, .m4a, .wav, and also my treasured but 'difficult' Wall-E DVD, and all play very nicely.

In addition:
    July 29 and July 30, you replied regarding MPC-BE's preview option.
    I suppose MPC-BE didn't crash, then?
    What did you change since then? Did you install another MPC-BE version, or did you change anything else? I suppose something you changed must be the cause of MPC-BE crashing.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  19. guest

guest Guest

20. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Thanks.

Maybe one of the nightly versions will correct the drain I been experiencing.

For what it's worth I don't use much more live security than ERP on an isolated offline dedicated HDMI system just for looping sci-fi shows nonstop on a large screen.

One of these days someone with enough know how might invent a system which doesn't require a reboot to flush cache's etc. but in the meantime I suppose it wouldn't hurt to schedule a time or times for the system to reboot itself to clear out the overhead.

I do already implement and use http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/mem_reduct.html
    which helps flush memory every 20-30 minutes.

21. Stupendous Man

Hmm... interesting.
    Over the past months, I've seen a number of instances of my Windows 7 system getting very sluggish and needing a reboot to fix that, and I wasn't able to find out what was the cause.
    Now I wonder if it was MPC-HC or MPC-BE, each time.

I hardly ever use MPC-HC or MPC-BE, but over the past months, I did some testing.
    Today, I did some MPC-BE testing, as mentioned in my previous post, and some hours later, my system got very sluggish and needed a reboot to fix that.
    N.B. Mind that after testing, I closed MPC-BE, so it wasn't even running. If testing MPC-BE would still have been the cause of my system slowing down, even after I closed MPC-BE after use, that would be rather bad, and quite stupid.

Well, for now, I'll leave MPC-HC and MPC-BE alone, and I'll see if there's no more system slowdown, next weeks.
    If so, then later I'll try MPC-HC and MPC-BE again, and see if next there's gonna be a system slowdown.
    In case I forget (and I probably may), please, feel free to remind me.

22. Rasheed187

I had weird problems with versions that I downloaded from sourceforge.net, I think they might have been beta versions and perhaps the problems were caused because I was using the 64 bit versions. But anyway, I just downloaded the portable version from free-codecs.com and guess what, it works perfectly! :thumb:

23. Stupendous Man

For some reason, by default, the SourceForge MPC-BE page offers one of the 1.5.1 Nightly builds, instead of release version 1.5.0.
    MPC-BE release version 1.5.0 can be found via Browse All Files / MPC-BE / Release builds / 1.5.0.
    MPC-BE release version 1.5.0 is also offered at the VideoHelp.com MPC-BE page, and at Softpedia.com.
    The versions offered by Codecs.com are Nightly builds, Codecs.com doesn't seem to offer MPC-BE release version 1.5.0 at all.
    But anyhow, great that the downloaded portable version works for you.

24. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Codecs.com offer newer version than it is on the homepage (like malware offering the new version of flashplayer) and considering the warning, I would not trust the download from there.

Attached Files:

25. Stupendous Man

According to VirusTotal, Yandex Safebrowsing is the only URL scanner out of 65 that reports the free-codecs.com pages as malware site.
    But it is true that Codecs.com, but also VideoHelp.com and also Softpedia.com, offer MPC-BE Nightly builds that are not offered at the SourceForge MPC-BE page. I don't know why that is, I don't know why those latest MPC-BE Nightly builds are offered by Codecs.com, VideoHelp.com and Softpedia.com, and not SourceForge. It's a bit messy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.