Media player and IMON

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by IcePanther, Sep 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IcePanther

    IcePanther Registered Member

    Joined:
    May 28, 2005
    Posts:
    308
    Location:
    (nearby) Paris, France
    Hi,

    I noticed a strange behavior of Nod's. I use it on my computer for quite some time. I also use Windows Media Player 10 (my music library is in WMA format, because I can store more music on my player for approximately same quality than the MP3, plus I read some german university lab comparative about codec quality etc. but that's not the story here, is it ?), WMP runs minimized (in the taskbar).

    The "problem" (more of an annoyance) is when I download a webpage, the music starts to become all cutted, as if IMON took all of the CPU and interrupted WMP. It doesn't happen with mails, and with other applications (MSN, network games, etc).
    It happens with Opera, FF and Explorer. I think it is limited to the HTTP scanning.

    Has anyone encountered such a behavior, and if so, knows how to resolve it ? Thanks in advance !

    Edit : tis happens in fact with every application that uses sound. I was playing one of eset's podcasts, and loading pages in firefox as i was reading things, too. The same behavior happened.
     
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2006
  2. ASpace

    ASpace Guest

    The issue you have is probably related to the fact IMON is set on Higher efficenly for Windows Media Player .

    Windows Media Player is such an application .

    Browsers use the music applications which your computer has , so it is the same . Set all your applications to Higher compatibility as shown in the attachment .

    If this doesn't help , try repairing Winsock and IMON as shown here
     

    Attached Files:

  3. IcePanther

    IcePanther Registered Member

    Joined:
    May 28, 2005
    Posts:
    308
    Location:
    (nearby) Paris, France
    Thanks HiTech_Boy,

    I'll try and see it putting Firefox in compatibility mode helps. My problem was linked more to Firefox : I don't surf with WMPlayer, but listen to music (which is on my hard drive) while surfing with Firefox.

    Now I've tried it, and still this doesn't do. I repaired winsock yesterday (due to an error with comodo that destroyed TCP/IP) I'll try and repair IMON, and tell you if that helps.
     
  4. IcePanther

    IcePanther Registered Member

    Joined:
    May 28, 2005
    Posts:
    308
    Location:
    (nearby) Paris, France
    Nope, still this annoying sound cutting thing when I'm loading web pages. I guess I'll have to live with it :rolleyes:
     
  5. Blackspear

    Blackspear Global Moderator

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2002
    Posts:
    15,115
    Location:
    Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
    Let's try something else, if you disable IMON, does the issue disappear?

    Cheers :D
     
  6. IcePanther

    IcePanther Registered Member

    Joined:
    May 28, 2005
    Posts:
    308
    Location:
    (nearby) Paris, France
    Thanks, Blackspear

    I tried shutting down NOD completely (quitting the control center) and still the problem was here, so I suppose it's not NOD-related after all...

    With NOD enabled and IMON icon in red (disabled) or in grey (exited, SSM shows the LSP entries are removed too) it still does it, too.

    Sorry to have mis-interpreted the origin of this behavior, it must be from another software (probably Outpost or SSM, since when I use KIS(alone as a resident) on this same machine this doesn't happen)

    Edit : I tried and deactivated Outpost (I'm behind a NAT router, so it's not that risky to do so for a short time, I use it for outbound connection filtering)
    And Bam ! Problem gone ! So it's related to something at outpost's level, from one of its plug-in modules (deactivated the modules, and it's OK)
     
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2006
  7. Blackspear

    Blackspear Global Moderator

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2002
    Posts:
    15,115
    Location:
    Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
    No problem at all, sometimes these things require a process of elimination.

    Cheers :D
     
  8. IcePanther

    IcePanther Registered Member

    Joined:
    May 28, 2005
    Posts:
    308
    Location:
    (nearby) Paris, France
    I found the Ad-Blocking module in Outpost to be the culprit, when stopped pages load without a problem, but when it's activated, they cause this strange behavior again.
    This seems to be due to the AGNIS list that has numerous entries (18000+) so Outpost checks each code in the HTML file for elements containing these IP's / domains and block them. Restored default parameters and no problem at all.

    Thanks for helping me with that little problem :)
     
  9. Blackspear

    Blackspear Global Moderator

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2002
    Posts:
    15,115
    Location:
    Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
    Good to see you have found the problem.


    My pleasure.

    Cheers :D
     
  10. racketeer66

    racketeer66 Registered Member

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2006
    Posts:
    84
    Location:
    Hungary
    Just to add my experience: I run Firefox 2.0 RC1(with AdBlock Plus). I experienced similar problems before. As being a Beta-tester for Agnitum I run Outpost 4.0. And I only enable Ad-Plugin of Outpost when I cannot escape browsing IE7 (no AdBlock-Plugin). So try Firefox with AdBlockPlus - a winning combination.
    Also pardon me for getting OFF the track:)
     
  11. ASpace

    ASpace Guest

    Me also thanks for letting us know , Ice ! :D
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.