MCShield v2

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by 3x0gR13N, Feb 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

New, beta version can be found on: http://amf.mycity.rs/mcshield/

It should be OK to install on top of v1.

2. 3x0gR13N

Here's a few screenshots of the (new) UI (the ones on the website are somewhat small)

mc1.PNG
    mc2.PNG
    mc3.PNG
    mc4.PNG

3. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

thx a lot for the screenshots and the info :thumb:......

4. David2041

David2041 Registered Member

UI is nice ,but it only protects from usb sticks ? o_O

5. 3x0gR13N

It protects you against malware that utilize auto-run to infect systems, be it from USB sticks, mem cards, ext. HDs or even local HDs.

6. David2041

David2041 Registered Member

thx, then it will be useful :)

7. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Does it "vaccinate" usb drives when they are inserted for the first time, like (for instance) Panda USB Vaccine to disable auto-run?

8. 3x0gR13N

No...:)

9. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Disable autorun within Windows. Problem solved for every device plugged in and no unnecessary software.

10. 3x0gR13N

Unless you're using the software to properly* disinfect infected media for other people to use and not fret if they will accidentally double click an infected "folder". :)

(properly=better than regular AVs)

11. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Thats fantastic and all, but that assumes you dont run a real time antivirus. A "proper" USB vaccinate program will do no better than an antivirus in preventing infected folders, files, etc. to run from outside sources.

12. 3x0gR13N

If AVs would be perfect, then yes. In some cases it would be better to have an app that focuses solely on threats from removable drives, than an AV which tries to stretch itself to protect all infection vectors.
    But, whatever does the job for you, it's fine. :)

13. kupo

kupo Registered Member

I installed it yesterday and it doesn't seem to affect my system's performance. Nice! It's useful for some who share their computers with family members that insert usb drives, like me, lol.

14. 3x0gR13N

Beta 2
    http://amf.mycity.rs/mcshield/downloads.html

15. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Final version released..!!

It's indeed a nice software. The representatives are nice and responsive. Tested and reviewed this software and using it replacing No Autorun.

16. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Can you give any examples of AVs that are "stretching" themselves in order to protect removable drives? Can you say in what cases it would be better to have an app that focuses solely on threats from removable drives?

17. 3x0gR13N

Simply because majority of AVs don't bother with proper cleanup of the infected USB stick (I'm not talking about protecting the PC itself): they don't reset folder permissions, they don't reset "(super) hidden" status of folders, they leave references in autorun.inf. etc.
    For ex., malware hides all files and folders on USB drives and places executable files that are named the same as the original/hidden files, while retaining the original icon (executable file masking as a folder/picture/document). Once the AV detects and removes the offending executables, it doesn't unhide the folders/files back and then users scream how their AV deleted legit files off their USB stick.

No one can state any definitive comparisons between AVs and MCS because tests on removable drive borne threats haven't been performed to my knowledge.
    MCS is created by people who run malware removal forums, they're basing the necessity of the application on data they're seeing across multiple malware removal forums (where people get re-infected regularly despite running updated AVs), so it does have some real-world use/benefit.

18. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Thanks for the informative reply. So, are you saying that usb flash drives are a unique subset and not handled properly by AV? When AV removes an infection from C: isn't resetting permissions and un-hiding folders that were hidden by malware part of the cleanup? Isn't the cleanup based on the detected malware and not on the location of the infected media? In effect why does it matter what drive letter the infected drive has?

19. 3x0gR13N

When AVs perform disinfection they mostly look at specific resources in the system itself, namely autostart registry keys/folders/.ini's and misc. things like Hosts file and BHOs associated with the malicious file or containing malicious entries.
    Resetting permissions/properties of folders on removable drives (and on non-removable as well) isn't a part of the procedure.
    (far be it that I've tried this with every AV, but most of them have the above behavior)

20. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

I can confirm the above findings. Stuxnet often hides folders and create folder links pointing to malicious executable. I have tested with a number of antimalware that cleans that worm but do not unhide the folders. I had to use manual tricks for unhiding.
    Will MCS help me in that?

21. 3x0gR13N

Scanner>"Always unhide items on flash drives" should work, even if the drive isn't detected as infected.
    (it does unhide by default when the drive is infected)

22. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Very helpful, thanks!

23. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Really liking the software... Much better than any similar software. Updates regularly. I wonder how many members are using this.

24. Doraemon

Doraemon Registered Member

Hey mate, the downloads page of your site says "Program Feauters" instead of "Program Features".

BTW it's a great program and very recommended! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

25. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Nice app.. Adviced for who are sharing always usb drives with others (family, friends,co-workers).

It does a slight work and is useful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.