McAfee VSE 8.0i & AntiSpy Beta

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Ianb, Feb 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ianb

Ianb Registered Member

Attached Files:

• MASP.jpg
      MASP.jpg
      File size:
      34.8 KB
      Views:
  2. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

3. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

Once the installation has been done, is spyware automatically scanned for when you do a virus scan?

Jimbob

4. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I believe yes, because VirusScan 9 does this.

5. Ianb

Ianb Registered Member

Evening (or whatever it is in India) Firecat

Yes Jim, it's supposed to scan Real Time and On Demand. Might give it a test (from the Computer Cops Links) on Sunday if I get the time.

6. Jimbob1989

I've just installed it and I am currently running a scan. Doesn't seem to have found anythign new.

Jimbob

7. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

So has it installed another mc antispyware to my machine or is it just directing to and using the one i already have. As in do i uninstall the original mc antispyware from my machine?.

If its using the one i already have wont that slow down scanning times immensly as it would have to scan a file once with MVE then once with MCAS it would be similar to like what happends with F-Secure or have i misunderstood?.

Excellent idea though.

Thanks
    Anthony

8. Firecat

Good day to you too Ianb:)

9. Culvin

Culvin Registered Member

It's good to see security vendors like Mcafee taking spyware more seriously. That being said, I still don't understand what this module does even after reading the data sheet. It looks like the exact same dat files are being used regardless of if the module is installed or not.

10. Jimbob1989

You may not notice a huge different in results as you probably have non or litle spyware on your machine.

Jimbob

11. TeknO

TeknO Registered Member

what are the differences between mcafee corporate antispy edition and mcafee antispyware?

12. Can somebody post a screenshot of its resource usage.

With its Detection rate and its speed; Daily DATS. And now Antispyware Module. If its Spyware detection is anything near Giant then VS8.0i will truly be the best in the class.

Sad that many people don't have access to it.

The only thing that is worrying me is its Memory usage. With all the process add up it could be more than 30mb.

I hope AnitSpyware wouldn't make VS8.0i any heavier.

13. where did you find that out, i visit the beta page and it is not even listed in there anymore.

14. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

I don't think Antispyware module is close to a real antispyware program. In the beta forums of VSE8.0i a good number of months ago, there was talk that the DATs themselves would begin to include spyware detection and removal. I'm guessing this module is the extra portion that will handle the removal, since McAfee has already been adding spyware detection for a while (though the number it detects is not very good yet). It will basically just be like VSE running by itself, and calling to the AS module if it detects spyware.

15. AnthonyG

I did a virus scan last night and it went crazy over my flashget (not that i have installed no more so it might have been the installer exe file or some residual traces in the registry.

It automatically quaranteened it. No choice on the matter which i have tos say i dont like!.

16. Firecat

Well not many ppl like McAfee products...there's always something about it that seems evil :D

17. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

Unless you change the setting to Prompt, it will automatically try to clean (if fail than quarantine).

18. Blackcat

19. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

just in case anyone has not seen this, here is an excerpt from the data page on the S800beta spyware addon for 7.0 and 8.0i enterprise antivirus

Attached Files:

20. AnthonyG

I have microsot antispyware on access scanning and this new mcafee one on access too. I also have spyware blaster running.

Can i ask is there a spyware test file i can download to see which one pops up first with a warning. Im just curious as IMO the one that comes up first is the best.

21. se7engreen

se7engreen Registered Member

It would be nice to have a test machine with these programs running and then try to install something like Kazaa or Bonzi Buddy (he's good at remembering my credit card numbers, ssn, etc... ;) ) or something with know spyware to see how these progs react.

22. No Member

No Member Guest

I've a little question about this add-on... Then it goes gold, do you have to pay for it, or is it free for the people who got McAfee Enterprise?
    It looks very nice, but I'm not sure if it's worth it's money if you have to buy it...

23. Blackcat

Looks like you have to purchase separately :'(

Just wait until your Company/College/University purchases it, but in the meanwhile may be worth saving the last free beta ;)

24. iwod

iwod Registered Member

i dont think this is a fair test.

Anyway i wouldn't be suprise Giant / MS pops out first since they do own the OS.

25. No Member

No Member Guest

Is this link posted here the last beta? And is it stable enough to use on a productive system? :) thanks for advice

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.