McAfee VirusScan Home Edition v7.0 Beta I

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Technodrome, Jun 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

Overview
    The McAfee VirusScan Home Edition v7.0 Beta Program commenced on May 27th and ends in mid July.

New Features

-HAWK improvements - in addition to MS Outlook, this release now supports Outlook Express, Eudora and many other e-mail clients that uses SMTP (does not include Internet based e-mail such as Hotmail)
    -Script Stopper - detects, alerts you of, and blocks malicious script initiated threats
    -Integrated with Windows Explorer - scan files directly from Windows Explorer
    -Microsoft Office integration - this product scans MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, 2000 or newer before they are opened
    -Usability enhancements - includes many UI enhancements to make it easier than ever to keep your computer virus free
    Schedule

Beta 1 - May 27, 2002
    Beta 2 - Mid June
    Release Candidate - Early July
    Release - Mid July

Some improvements there....

more: http://www.mcafee-at-home.com/beta/VSCHome/default.asp

Technodrome

2. controler

controler Guest

I am sure you know my sentiments on Mc Afee by now?

Never install anything of Mc Afee's is my motto ;)

Unless of course you know how to reformat your hard drive LOL

3. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Unless you're a devoted virus collector welcoming the endangered species.

4. root

root Registered Member

I see I'm not alone in my feelings about McAfee. :)

5. controler

controler Guest

Jookske

I have couple folders on my desktop named

nude pictures and another one named TOP secret government files. Inside these folders I have my worms
    viruses ect disquised as other files.
    Any hacker that gained access to my computer would head to one of these folders for sure and when he or she clicked on one of my files ? ooppssss they get infected LOL

[glow=red,50,600]controler[/glow]

6. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Root,
    i had a paid version, scanned, system went worse and worse over time, till an online scan to start with at Housecall found among others the CIH and several more, while real normal valid files like my fonts collection were moved to a "suspicious" folder and thus renamed that i could not put them back, so MA was eating my system, while the real nasties showed up a few weeks after with a trial of AVP, made me feeling really shocked (ok, i knew there could be some suspicious files in a first heuristic scanning) ......
    Are we mods allowed to have such outspoken ideas about some kind of software or must we stay neutral? :)
    I could say of course something like "try at own risk, but by all means do go shop around a lot more before you decide for the one or the other just by it's familiar name!" or thing like that........

7. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Controler,
    those are tricks i remember from the Nukenabber instructions, although they advised to make them look at least a little interesting and more or less not hidden to well........
    You forget those hackers and other visiters do have sniffers and scanners as well, not just port scanners and the kind you might have collected in your favorites zoo, but normal real AV/AT/AW scanners.
    They have whole arsenals to protect themselves against their own kind. But maybe the other new kind of visiters are less experienced and protected.

8. controler

controler Guest

Yes

I don't dare use Mcaffee again

years ago they would associate your EXE's with their program and if you uninstalled it, you lost your ability
    to open any EXE's
    Yes every once in awhile I will try their software just before I am going to reformat just to see how they changed and same old story. CRAP LOL
    ANother thing that bothers me is Housecall. I saw in a post yearerday , that Trend Micro's antivirus wasn't tested as a very good program. That is simply BULL!!!
    In my mind TrendMicro PC-CCillon is next to Norton for antivirus. I used to send all my friends there years ago
    to scan their puters after having wierd problems. They were also using McAfee. They would write back telling me of viruses they had on their systems.
    I am still always telling people of hoaxes and false reading so they don't delete something they shouldn't ;)

[glow=red,2,10000]controler[/glow]

9. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

McAfee VS is full of bugs (beta or not) but weather you like it or not, Mcafee has one of the best av engines. If you can make it work go with it, if can't look elsewhere...

Technodrome

10. wizard

wizard Registered Member

McAfee AV as on-demand scanner only is very good but McAfee makes it from release to release harder just to install it as on-demand only. :(

wizard

11. root

root Registered Member

I suppose as mods, we need to temper our bashing of named products, but I also feel I have a certain obligation to share experiences that indicate people are in jeopardy if they put too much trust in a popular product.
    On numerous occasions, I have had to delouse computers that had up to date McAfee installs that missed the most common viruses circulating in the wild. In one case, a friend was having some computer problems, so he went to the store, purchased the latest McAfee, installed it, updated it, ran a scan, and it found about ten instances of the marker virus. He told it to go ahead and clean the files. It came back and said, can't clean, delete? He said yes. Well among other things, it deleted rundll.32, and a couple of other system files. He had Win98.
    Well, he had a Gateway, so he ran the restore disk, and of course ended up with a piece of crap for a computer. He then called me.
    Just for grins I installed AVP and without even updating it, it found over 100 files with the marker virus. I told it to clean them and it did. I did a format and install anyway and then convinced him to buy a Dell. He has a honey now, with KAV. This was only 6 months ago.
    I have also found viruses that NAV missed, using KAV, but lots more that McAfee missed.
    I always double check virus scans and will use PC Cillin, F-Secure or Dr Web for backup scans. Never has KAV missed anything. I have also double checked with NOD 32. I have never had NOD 32 miss anything.
    So, for what it's worth, that's my experience. McAfee was my first AV and for a long time, it was the standard.
    What happenedo_O?? Hopefully they will repair the mistakes and once again have an excellent product as I know millions of people will continue to use it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.