McAfee VirusScan 9 Goes After Spyware

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ronjor, Jul 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

As the public continues to encounter unwanted programs, the words "spyware" and "adware" are entering into the vernacular. The question of how to deal with these nuisances is particularly challenging when programs users desire -- such as Kazaa -- require spyware components in order to operate.

Beta news

2. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

It became just about time if you ask me. I wonder what it would give if kasperksy would began to work finding spyware like adaware...

what do you think??

3. Ailric

Ailric Guest

This is good news. McAfee and Kaspersky (extended defs) both have excellent spyware and adware (malware) detection. This kind of junk is a lot more prevalent than your garden variety virus (just look at CoolWebSearch) and it's about time antivirus vendors started to focus on these problems rather than differentiating between viruses, trojans, worms and malware.

4. Infinity

yes it completely correct. after all, at the end we have to have like 20 security apps. I like layered security a lot. man, that is the only way we can go but enough is enough. that is why I have kaspersky (engine) ...

but I think now: didn't mcafee already had a antispyware module in the AV??

just a thought.

5. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

I think what they are saying now is that they will actually somewhat clean-up spyware instead of just detecting the parts of the spyware and potentially break something.

6. IMO it is better if the AVs stick to what their good at and let other products cover the adware/spyware issue. They should be concentrating on viruses/worms not all malware, or they just may turn out to be another Pest Patrol like product. You know, a wanna be all things to all people, type of program. Remember the saying- "Jack of all trades, master of none"? That's what they'll probably end up being, if they try to take it all on.

I would rather have one product for virus detection, one product for trojans, one product for spyware ect... and let each product concentrate it's full abilities on one or two types of malware, that way they don't spread themselves so thin.

Would you rather have one product that is sorta good at detecting all forms of malware, or 3 or 4 that are really good at detecting just one or two kinds of malware each?

How can they really concentrate their efforts, if they're chasing every kind of malware under the sun?

7. Infinity

you probably are right, but I have faith still left :D

then it would be layered security.

8. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

These CWS (and other) hijackers which are extremely nasty to remove manually should be removed by antiviruses. They are all over the internet, mass infections. Antiviruses can detect them, and can remove them if the effort is put in at the analysis labs.

They are the best people to deal with these sorts of things since on-access monitors will then catch infections BEFORE they happen on many many machines out there, as soon as the latest variants infect a few people they get submitted, the next day everyone with that AV is protected.

The best thing users can do is submit their CWS DLL's and the like to their AV, and ask for cures :)

9. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

To StormElectrik from Firefighter!

> I would rather have one product for virus detection, one product for trojans...

Actually most respectable av:s are already targetted (= used their limited resources) MAINLY against trojans. DrWeb, even though there are few better av:s to detect trojans, has added some 80 % of their new signatures during the first quarter this year to trojans & backdoors. Despite of that DrWeb has very good unpacking engine.

http://www.dials.ru/english/inf/news.php?id=754

Although I have BOClean 4.11 installed in my PC, I'll never expect that it is able to detect more trojans & backdoors as a whole than KAV, DrWeb 4.31b or even Mks_Vir 2004. BOClean is only there if something goes wrong.

The Spyware and/or Adware issue, why not too included in av:s database, if they have free resources to that? But honestly speaking, I think it's now a value adding strategy that talks.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

10. iwod

iwod Registered Member

This version as they said seems to improve on resources.

Does any body know if there is a link to Beta download version avalible publically? For testing?

11. dread

dread Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.