mcafee virusscan 2008 for free (1 year)

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by computer geek, Dec 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

This is exactly THE major revenue leak of McAfee, IMO

Anyone holding a installation CD may be able to share with dozens of others to freely use McAfee. One CD------ many username/password.----many happy free users. Be happy.

2. L815

L815 Guest

I had no problems registering for the 1 year. Thanks :D

Hopefully it's much better than previous versions.

3. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I finally was able to get in. Before I install, can anyone report the how many processes & how much memory this uses? thanks!

4. L815

L815 Guest

It added 3-4 processes for me. 2 of them around 5-20k and the rest a constant 2-3k.

It ran smoothly and no slowdown of the system and such. I just didn't like it that much. The way it's setup is OK.

I uninstalled it and am currently trying F-Prot

5. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Thanks! It sounds a little heavy on RAM usage for my tastes. I may stick with my current setup a while longer.

6. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

We were unable to process your request. Please click here to return to the ‘My Account’ page.

is the message i get from it

7. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Same here

8. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

9. clambermatic

clambermatic Registered Member

The url posted by "zFactor" was the direct one i had used. I had installed 2 on my own rigs, installed 2 more on corporate issued notebooks and samely guided my clients' IT guys to peruse on their new issue of notebook replacement batches. :D

NatWest's site basically allows you to download an installer and sent you an email notice that includes the serials. Post than on clipboard, then use the small installer previously downloaded and with live connection... start downloading the main program (you got include/exclude component options prior to download).

Once done, copy and apply that serials into VScan-2008's bin folder (the email you rcvd had serials-How2 instructions) before you are allowed to update its sigfiles.

VScan-2008 was indeed a Ram-hoager as expected, but unlike previous version s wayback 18mths. This 2008 version was a bit more responsive, coz i had it loaded on 1 of my 256ram-DDR2 home rig which previously got an old VScan of which i discarded due to hoagings!

On a 512ram rig (notebook) it runs quite unnoticeable. Hence i conclude that it was better.

mcAfee's imo, is what i deemed as veteran top-tiered sec-apps along with KIS-KAV/NSymantec/CA known to have large Ram footprint. They are 'top-tiered' to me coz they got above-average infection-cleaning & restoring algorithm on major viruses, albeit some are slow in comparison to the 2nd/3rd generation new-apps such as NOD/VBA/Command.

Among these 'veteran' lot... KIS-Kav/NSymantec had made tremendous advances but still playing catch-up on the likes of NOD/Command/VBA.

Hence, for 'peace-of-mind' sans-hassles of tweak-sophistications (most 2nd/3rd generations AVs seems to possess this) among average rig owners... go for the likes of VScan/Norton/CA!

10. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

11. clocks

clocks Registered Member

So for those of you that have installed this, how do you like it?

12. JohnnyBravo

JohnnyBravo Registered Member

13. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I think the McAfee installer will remove any av you have installed.

14. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

Yesterday I went on my auto insurer's website to set up an account to make my insurance payments online. After signing up I was directed to a page where all my info was and the link to make payments.

On the left side pane a "free antivirus and antispyware" link caught my eye. I clicked on it and found out that my insurer had partnered with McAfee and was providing a free 1-year subscription to VirusScan Plus (AV/AS/FW) to its customers.

My last (and only) encounter with McAfee was back in 2004 when I first got this computer. I had taken NIS '04 off and found that Dell had provided an McAfee suite on one of the CDs that was included. I installed it but ten minutes later I had uninstalled it--it was worse than NIS '04 on slowing down the computer.

Now it appears that McAfee has followed suit with Norton and improved the system impact of their software. It has the same "feel" as NIS '08 but with a less bootup time. I am even playing FPS games with it on without noticing any slowdown (which is good since I don't see no way of suspending protection). Right now I am going to cracks sites to test it but SiteAdvisor has been very vocal about it, lol. The only fault I found that the default FW setting allows in/out communications. I moved the slider to "Stealth" to fix that.

Otherwise I like what I see so far. I just hope an "Easter egg" doesn't show up like it has been doing to me lately, lol.

FYI, my auto insurer is State Farm Insurance. For those SF customers out there reading this you have to create an account on their website to gain access to this McAfee deal. Once you get to your "Portal" page look on the left side under Additional Links for "Download Free Virus and Anti-Spyware software".

Last edited: Jan 5, 2008
  15. rhuds13

rhuds13 Registered Member

I tried the new McAfee free and only problem was it removed some of my GigaByte P35 drivers and gave no option to keep. Maybe in a couple months I will try again.

16. rhuds13

Well decided to try now rather than later. Still finds system ini files in install files for Gigabyte as virus so I sent to McAfee. Maybe they can fix this with a update. Will see how things go for a while.

17. midway40

At least you know precisely what is going on. I had been having USB problems since I got Vista which at the same time I got NIS. I had been blaming Vista for the problem all this time until I tried to install a flash card reader and found out NIS had been causing the problems all along. I hated that I had to leave NIS after talking good about it for so long but what can you do? :(

If anything both of our cases makes a strong point in regards to the "which x or y will work better?" posts in that you need to try them out for yourself as software reacts differently to certain hardware.

Hopefully McAfee will add those files to the safe list for you :)

18. rhuds13

True. You can have two systems with different hardware and setup with same basic software (games and such). Then when you add security apps one system has problems while other is fine. Sometimes even a simple update from one source will cause trouble on one while not the other. The only AV not to have given me trouble so far has been Avast but is still nice to try something more inclusive. NIS2008 worked fine for me on Vista but borked my XP Pro. Same system just different drive. I'm starting to believe they are writing software now just for Vista.

19. midway40

I hope MVSP will work out for both of us :) I am keeping my fingers crossed, lol.

Besides, that "M" looks good next to my name :D

20. JasSolo

JasSolo Registered Member

Well Mitch, keep us updated how it will work out. I remember trying it out early 2006....what a nightmare!! Tried out the new version for a few days, a few weeks ago. I find the program mild on resources, but I think the GUI is a little "conservative". I like the simplicity in setting the program up though. The defaults seems to be just right, except for 1 slide up, in the firewall :D

Cheers

21. dian

dian Registered Member

mcafee virusscan 2008 for free (1 year):D

22. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i actually prefer the old security centre that mcafee used to have.

(The red one)

23. midway40

What, Chris? You are talking about this thing of...uh...beauty? Remember I just came from the black/yellow world and if it is gray/beige/green I don't care as long as it does it's job without messing anything up :p :D

Attached Files:

24. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i actually preferred this one for mcafee,

i like it when AV's keep their signature colour.

0209mcafeeis3.jpg

25. midway40

What the heck is "AntiAbuse"? Does it report you if you slam your keyboard in frustration? lol

But you are right, I see no red in the current window except maybe when the green check is replaced by the red X.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.