mcafee Virus scan 4.5.1 End of life

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by bob_man_uk, Apr 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bob_man_uk

bob_man_uk Registered Member

just to let you know If you use Mcafee visus scan 4.5.1 sp1 it will reach its end of life around June-July 2005, i know it may seem like a long way off but believe me it will cause many problems, I for one do not want to look towards another product just so I can support 9x clients which WILL still be used next year, Mcafee Expect users to upgrade their os if they wish to use mcafee, What a slap in the face eh :eek: :oops: , and after this point no more engines will be made compatible with the product, as for dat files im sure that they wont change the structure too much so the dats may still work, but dont count on it, to be honest after all my work to get mcafee into my workplace in the first place Mcafee have a funny way of showing gratitude to the sound of 500-1000 licences at a tenner a head (equals a lot of money) I dont know what everyone else feels but Im really fuming about this :mad: and expect mcafee to do something.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    holla if ya hear me

matty G

2. Trevor Marsh

Trevor Marsh Guest

As far as I am aware Microsoft will also be stopping support for the windows 9.x family of products around the same time (support for Win 95 has ceased already) so I guess the software vendors don't have a lot of choice, McAfee maybe the first to anounce it but they certainly won't be the last I'm afraid. If you are using any of the Windows 9.x OS's you are effectivly using an OS that is 9 years old; 10 years old by the time Microsoft support is withdrawn. Time marches on and if you are still using Win 9.x based OS's by the middle of next year it really is time to move on. If your hardware, or software, can't take the transition then maybe it's time to change that too.

Company's think nothing of changing their fleet of vehicles every couple of years or so, but expect their computers hardware and software to last for ever and it's a rather strange mindset to be honest.

3. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

Well you got 2 options:

Get a new AV which supports 9x.
    or
    Upgrade your machines with NT OS.
    ;)

tECHNODROME

4. bob_man_uk

bob_man_uk Registered Member

what if none of your ideas can be implemented we have already upgraded some of our machines but the users dont really need an NT OS they hardly use 9.x but they do get viruses and we cant affoer to 1) change our AV because we have just paid a 2 yr renewal on our license 2) upgrade hardware/Software the company is small and is unable to make the cost of all the upgrades.

I guess im stumped.

P.S if I decide to keep mcafee 4.5.1 will they still support the updates IE dat/Sdat files etc if so then I m sorted, I know dr solomons is out of life but I have noticed that it is still updating on some of our 9.x clients. weired no.

thanks

Matty G

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Information on the EOL of mcafee products and support of these products can be found here Info is at bottom of page.

6. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

I don't think they will make any changes to update format anytime soon. You should be able to update 4.51 version beyond 2005.

The only thing that will change is update frequency. Daily updates will be introduced sometimes in Q2.

tECHNODROME

7. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

The info at NAI states that after june 2005 users of 4.5.1 will have a special support program with mcafee. And I doubt if that will be cheap.

VirusScan 4.5.1 SP1 will continue to be supported with .DATs, engines, and technical support through 30 June, 2005. McAfee will continue to support current customers who choose to use VirusScan 4.5.1 SP1 through a Custom Support arrangement. Customers requesting support coverage for VirusScan 4.5.1 SP1 between 1 July, 2005 and 30 June, 2006 will be able to acquire the support through an uplift to their current support contract.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.