McAfee Total Protection 2010 Beta

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by vijayind, Aug 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I didnt get a chance to play to much this morning with it. I will later. I know or think you can manually turn off some features. I totally agree about SiteAdvisor because it use to bring me to a crawl. But this morning it was on and my browsing was not slowed in the least bit. Actually it was to even tell McAfee was even installed. I will look later today.

2. Netherlands

Netherlands Registered Member

Did anyone uninstall the beta. Was it uninstalled the right way? I can remember that it was a pain in the ass a couple of years back.

3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

for me it was always the install. I actually had to reimage a computer do to a install. Have not uninstalled it, yet, but if like the install it looks like a piece of cake. Again, you cant compare this version to any of the older ones. It is like night and day. Which is about time.:cautious:

4. Netherlands

Netherlands Registered Member

Does it have new technology/features?

5. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I can't get the darn thing to install. :mad: Every time I try, I get the same error message.

"Download cannot continue because either there's a problem with your internet connection, or McAfee's download server is unavailable."

I've been trying since last night.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  6. trjam

trjam Registered Member

well, came home, internet connection dead. Hmmm. The nice thing is that the beta and site advisor uninstalled lickity split. Now to find another damn avatar. Havent been to Moscow in awhile, brrrrr.

Graystoke, that is a common issue in their beta forums from what I saw and will not see, ever again.:cool:

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Kasperskys new beta .691 has some serious bugs, beware. I was shocked it was even brought out. It asked me 4 times in 20 minutes of self shutdown to send the info. I really dont know what their issues are.

8. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I like your avitar trjam. :) That little eye is back on my machine again. :D

EDIT............Ooops. Avitar changed already. Should have known. :D

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  9. Fly

Fly Registered Member

McAfee is infamous for its server issues, or at least it should be ! It's really a serious pain that I have not seen with any other AV.

Someone should educate the public.

10. zerotox

zerotox Registered Member

Hello guys!

I also have lots of pain installing McAfee. This is what works for me - go to Internet options in Internet Explorer, find advanced options and set them to default, set to default security options as well (I'm at work using Linux here so i can't point the exact steps to go there). After that everything should be OK. It's preferable to start the instalation process right from the browser instead of downloading the Download manager McAfee exe to you hard drive.

I hope it will work for you as well! Everything is because McAfee instalation and user interface depends on Internet explorer.

11. kinwolf

kinwolf Registered Member

In the beta FAQ it is stated that custom installation/unsinstallation will be available at a further time.

12. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

Is McAfee really getting that good?
    ~ VirusTotal link removed as per Policy ~

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2009
  13. trjam

trjam Registered Member

McAfee has made some big gains. I soured on the first stage of the beta for Total Protection killing my internet connection. I have no questions about what I orginally stated by saying this version will be like night an day compared to previous ones. And will stay registered with them so I can try a later version of the beta.

They had no choice but to reinvent it. They were basically killing themselves on the consumers and enterprise side. They are doing what they need to in order to remerge as a contender, so yes, their detection is that good in my viewpoint. But they still have some work, alot of work ahead. The hardest part will be like Norton and over coming peoples perception of the product. If you look at their US site, their prices are really, really good. I would not hesitate to buy a license not for what I get now, but for what is coming.

14. 1timeuserrr

1timeuserrr Registered Member

I've been using McAfee for almost 2 years now with very good results. Artemis is a great feature but somehow it seems it doesn't work as it should:

If I download a suspicious/infected file from Internet and manual scan it, McAfee tells me it is clean. BUT after uploading to VirusTotal, McAfee+Artemis catches it and reports it as infected.

BTW, today I purchased a 1 year license to A Squared AntiMalware and it catched the trojans McAfee couldn't in my PC.

McAfee 2010 has a redesigned interface with some little flaws at the moment (it's in beta stage).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.