McAfee Security Center w/Comcast High Speed?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ejr, Feb 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ejr

ejr Registered Member

My wife and I went over to a friends house for dinner last night. Mostly just to hang out with our friends but also to help them secure up their PC.

He is a Comcast Subscriber, so for free, he has the McAfee Security Center. It has an AV, Firewall, Antispyware, and some nice tools. This couple is not very computer literate and doesn't do much surfing anyway. His knowledge is so basic that he did not even know how to add a website to his favorites list and actually didn't even know that there was a favorites list. So he and his wife are true newbies to the Internet.

With the above in mind, what program would you add to compliment the McAfee Security Center? It must be free. It must be easy to use. It must provide protection without really counting on much user input.

I was thinking about Spyware Terminator for the Active protections to keep Spyware off his machine. Also Spyware blaster. And I probably need to update him to IE 7 from IE 6.

Thoughts? I would appreciate your input.

2. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

Uninstall the bloated McAfee suite, then put him on a limited user account. If he has XP Pro you can also implement a software restriction policy (SRP). Both of those tools built into the OS will prevent malware from installing in the first place. If he doesn't want a limited account you should not limit yourself to freeware to secure his system. Free doesn't necessarily mean good. :D

3. ejr

ejr Registered Member

I only suggested free because they are on a very tight budget.

So If I uninstall McAfee and put him on a limited user account, he still needs AV/Firewall/Antispyware. He probably isn't going to run scans on his machine. So I need to set up up with a good active defense.

So what should I install that wll protect his machine but require litle to no user interface?

1. Comodo Firewall would probably be too much for him.
    2. No HIPS unless it runs in the background with zero prompts

He doesn't need Fort Knox like protection. Just basic protection, preferably with strong active protections.

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

avast,antivir or avg free
    with cyberhawk and windows firewall?
    i dont know if cyberhawk will give to many prompts or not thou.
    the firewall in mcafee can be quite hard to understand for newbies
    lodore

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.