McAfee - Security Center - Logic?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by MNKid, Sep 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MNKid

MNKid Guest

Hi,

Just tried out McAfee VirusScan 2005 after not having used it for a number of years. It may be a wonderful antiviris program and all that happy horsecrap, but the Security Center feature is just plain assinine in my opinion.

I really don't care to be told every time I reboot and/or run the darn thing that I don't have McAfee's firewall installed, don't have McAfee's antispam installed, don't have McAfee's privacy installed. Do they think I don't know what I have installed? To me, it's a negative approach. "Just tell the paying customer how poorly they are doing at securing their computer because they don't have our full line of apps installed. Even give them a Security Index to remind them further. And best of all, when they update their virus defs, throw in some pop-up ads AGAIN pimping our other products."

When a person actually starts to RESENT an application, I guess they know it's not right for them :(

2. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

Agreed. Very stupid move on the part of McAfee. Version 7 didn't have this garbage. Course managements believe that they will sell more software with this tactic. I suppose it's working cause they didn't kill the security center with version 9 (2005).

McAfee corporate edition does not include the security center.

3. Ailric

Ailric Guest

McAfee 9.0 is a terrific antivirus but I don't like that Security Center splash either... that's why I disabled it! :D

4. Big D1

Big D1 Registered Member

The splash screen doesn't annoy me as much as being spammed by McAfee trying to pimp their wares, and it's the main reason I won't buy their spammer.

5. Merlin353

Merlin353 Guest

How do you disable McAfee's Security Center splash screen?

6. Ailric

Ailric Guest

Start>RUN>REGEDIT

Goto:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Change
    c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
    to this:
    c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe /nosplash

That's it! The great antivirus you want without the popup security splash that you don't need!

7. shoe

shoe Registered Member

7 retail reaches EOL today

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.