McAfee - Security Center - Logic?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by MNKid, Sep 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MNKid

MNKid Guest

Hi,

Just tried out McAfee VirusScan 2005 after not having used it for a number of years. It may be a wonderful antiviris program and all that happy horsecrap, but the Security Center feature is just plain assinine in my opinion.

I really don't care to be told every time I reboot and/or run the darn thing that I don't have McAfee's firewall installed, don't have McAfee's antispam installed, don't have McAfee's privacy installed. Do they think I don't know what I have installed? To me, it's a negative approach. "Just tell the paying customer how poorly they are doing at securing their computer because they don't have our full line of apps installed. Even give them a Security Index to remind them further. And best of all, when they update their virus defs, throw in some pop-up ads AGAIN pimping our other products."

When a person actually starts to RESENT an application, I guess they know it's not right for them :(

2. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

Agreed. Very stupid move on the part of McAfee. Version 7 didn't have this garbage. Course managements believe that they will sell more software with this tactic. I suppose it's working cause they didn't kill the security center with version 9 (2005).

McAfee corporate edition does not include the security center.

3. Ailric

Ailric Guest

McAfee 9.0 is a terrific antivirus but I don't like that Security Center splash either... that's why I disabled it! :D

4. Big D1

Big D1 Registered Member

The splash screen doesn't annoy me as much as being spammed by McAfee trying to pimp their wares, and it's the main reason I won't buy their spammer.

5. Merlin353

Merlin353 Guest

How do you disable McAfee's Security Center splash screen?

6. Ailric

Ailric Guest

Start>RUN>REGEDIT

Goto:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Change
    c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
    to this:
    c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe /nosplash

That's it! The great antivirus you want without the popup security splash that you don't need!

7. shoe

shoe Registered Member

7 retail reaches EOL today

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.