McAfee firewall that comes with 7.0?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by notageek, Mar 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notageek

notageek Registered Member

Is it any good. Right now I'm using Sygate free. Is The Firewall that comes with McAfee virus scan 7.0 better than Sygate?

2. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

I admit I have never tried it, but I doubt its any better than Sygates, and if you're happy with Sygate then stick with it! :)

ps, I seem to be getting less helpful but more cheerful, maybe I could become Wilders Jester!!!

Kev

3. notageek

LOL yeah wilders needs a jester. ;)

I tried McAfee firewall last night and ran a probe test and I had port 137 open (atleast I think it was port 137). The other ports were stealth. Sygate Also lets you pick whet haves server rights and McAfee don't. McAfee was that bad but I have to have all my ports closed.

4. Madsen DK

Madsen DK Registered Member

On Mcafee FW 4 port 137 shouldnt be open.
    Did you test on pc flank.
    Pc flank sometimes says that a port is closed, while Gibsons shields up says its stealthed.
    Whoes rigth, i dont really know.
    Regards
    Ole

5. root

root Registered Member

McAfee acquired the rights to Signal 9 firewall which was a most excellent firewall. It came in two versions, one was a very simple application based firewall if I remember correctly and the other was a very strong rules based firewall. It was not for the faint of heart.
    After McAfee took over Signal 9, I'm not sure what they did with each of the firewalls. I know for a while, they had some kind of subscription firewall going that I could find no download for, but they did market a version of the desktop version. It worked well for what it did, but was very limited in any rule making ability. For example, allow or block ICMP, period.
    Since McAfee had a chance to capitalise on a very good firewall with the acquisition of Signal 9s firewall, but failed to do so, I am not aware of any reason to believe their firewall is better than Sygate, Kerio, and in my opinion of course, Outpost.
    I have not tried the firewall in question here, so I really don't want to make any statements about it's effectiveness.
    If I could see a couple of screenshots or get an idea of its rule making ability, I could tell if it were the desktop version or the rules based version. Were it to be the rules based version, it may still have some good potential. However, if it is like the original rules based version, it would take a good knowledge of rule making to set it up.

6. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

Mcafee is based on ConSeal Firewall. This firewall ruled back in days! Root must know this! ;)

VisNetic is based on ConSeal engine as well.

Mcafee did to this product what Symantec did to AtGuard...Bloat-Ware. :doubt:

Technodrome

7. notageek

I'm sorry on the Steve Gibson sheilds up test port 135 (RPC port) was opened not port 137.

Root I would take some screenies but I unistalled the verson. All I know is that it comes bundled with Virus scan 7.0. I'm not sure if I can or should install McAfee firewall while I have sygate installed. McAfee firewall might go nuts. :)

I know that when I scan at shields up with Sygate loaded it shows all ports stealth.

8. root

root Registered Member

Indeed, I just ended up calling it Signal9. If anything ever had a chance of being better, it was @Guard. Two excellent firewalls in the early days of software firewalls.
    I would dearly love to have heard the conversations going on in the board rooms of McAfee and Nortons as they vied for acquisition of either @Guard or Conseal.
    A couple of my friends here use and like NIS which is whats the outcome of Nortons acquisition of @Guard. I did not like what they did to it, so that's what got me started on a quest to find a suitable replacement.
    Notageek, if you have Sygate installed and you are happy with it, don't mess around with McAfees'. I was just mildly curious what they were offering now a days.

9. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Not a very good idea, to install 2 firewalls together.....

Is asking for a lot of troubles!

10. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

It was and still is a very solid packet filter ;)

Regards,

CrazyM

Attached Files:

11. notageek

I'm happy with Sygate. I just wanted to try McAfee being that I kind of payed for it when I bought my AV. :)

12. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

As others have suggested, if you are comfortable and happy with Sygate, then stick with it.

On the other hand, if you are comfortable with testing/evaluating software (or tinkering as you will see me refer to it as from time to time), then by all means give it a go. - providing a full report/evaluation here of course ;)

While familiar with ConSeal, I only looked at the McAfee firewall in it's early versions. I have not "tinkered" with it recently, so I cannot offer any opinions as to how the product has evolved and what the current version may be like.

Regards,

CrazyM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.