McAfee firewall. I didn't even know

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Chuck57, Nov 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

they had one. We were at WalMart and while the wife spent money, I browsed the software and found McAfee AV ver 7 and discovered that it came with a firewall. Does anybody know anything about it, whether it's any good?

I know their antivirus seems to be improved markedly. I'm wondering about the firewall.

2. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

McAfee bought Signal9, the makers of ConSeal PC Firewall and use that technology as the basis for their firewall. ConSeal was and is a very solid firewall. McAfee's initial offering was a simplified version, but offered good inbound protection. I have not have followed it's progression too closely, but it appears it now has outbound application control. IIRC McAfee also purchased NeoTrace and incorporate some of that functionality into it's firewall as well.

3. Madsen DK

Madsen DK Registered Member

I tested the firewall on pc flank, and it did very well, but i still consider Zonealarm P. to be the better one, but thats just my opinion.
    McAfee should do for most , and it is quite easy to config.
    :)

4. root

root Registered Member

My opinion.
    When McAfee bought Signal 9s firewalls, they promptly screwed up one of the best firewalls around.
    There were two versions, A very complicated rules based firewall and a simple desktop version. The original Signal 9 desktop version was very simple and really worked quite well.
    I think that is what McAfee is offering with the AV.
    I think you can do better by looking elsewhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.