McAfee Enterprise trial edition

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Arup, Dec 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nitrox

Nitrox Registered Member

When you download the desktop version trial and you extract it to a temp directory, it will have a folder called desktop firewall and a folder with the desktop firewall for epo.
    I installed the one in the desktop firewall folder only.
    I don't have the link because you have to fill out a form and so on to get the trial download over here:

https://secure.nai.com/us/forms/registration/survey.asp?type=d&prodid=3260&mktg=ESD334&bu=McAfee

2. kalpik

kalpik Registered Member

I installed that version only! Still i have all those processes!

3. liang_mike

liang_mike Registered Member

I have been using McAfee Desktop Firewall for a while now. I like its simple and solid feature set, and GUI.

It has all the features that I need (firewall capable of application and network rules, IDS, simple log viewer) .... no more no less. Thank you, but I don't need the firewall to guard my registry, or an integrated anti-spyware.

MDF displays all the rules in one firewall pane, and you can resize the window to see many rules at a time. This helps because I have many firewall rules. In addition, you can drag rules up or down. This is something I don't like about Outpost, which displays rules in seperate small windows (tabs). (On the other hand, I am not an Outpost expert, so I might be doing something wrong)

Sadly, I am still using MDF 8.0, not 8.5. 8.5 has been very buggy on my computer. You can see me whining about 8.5 at mcAfee Support Forum. However, I am eagerly waiting for a new build of 8.5.

By the way, McAfee is beta testing a new product called Host Intrusion Prevention, which contains all the features of MDF and more (http://www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/beta/hips/hips.htm).

4. Arup

Arup Guest

Thanks for the HIPS link Mike, 8.5 works fine on my system though and I find it to be the best solution of the current crops of firewalls out there.

5. liang_mike

Glad to hear that. I also find MDF to be the best solution for myself. I am waiting for a new build of 8.5 before upgrading from 8.0.

6. kalpik

kalpik Registered Member

Just experimented with something! You only need FireSvc.exe and FireTray.exe for the firewall to work. Disable Mcafee Framework Service from Services.msc, and disable all other things from msconfig.exe. It works!

7. Nitrox

Nitrox Registered Member

That's weird, I don't remember getting those services installed, (Mcafee Framework Service) the only one I killed was tbmon.exe.o_O

8. kalpik

kalpik Registered Member

Thats what!! All these services do get installed! You must check again!

9. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Thought id trial it too , and see how it compared with kerio 2.15 for lightness.I must say im quite impressed and this old 98 system seems to have no ill effects running it.In fact it seems as fast as kerio when browsing.I did run into some problems by enabling the applictaion policy options though , specifically with antivir ( which i had to make a rule for as the firewall was shutting it down before it enabled properly) ,admuncher which has a hook function and secondchance which is basically a 98 system restore.I guess most of you here are more knowledgable than i ,but i thought id mention enabling the application policy option could cause some unforseen problems for the tota newbie.
    ellison

ohh yes forgot to mention......full marks to mcafee for not having a nag screen every time you start the trial version up..

10. ellison64

I notice that system requirements for the beta are....

* Windows 2000 Professional
    * Windows 2000 Server
    * Windows 2000 Advanced
    * Windows 2003 Server
    * Windows 2003 Enterprise
    * Windows XP Professional

So i guess this would be aimed at the buisness/professional user rather than the home user?
    tia
    ellison

11. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Not necessarily.. I see both Win2k and XP there, which pretty much covers 99% of the home user market too.

12. ellison64

Mmm im a little in the stone age regarding os..im still using 98.I saw the XP pro listed there and not the home and assumed it wouldnt work on home edition.On reflection though i guess it wouldnt list XP home if its aimed at small buisness users anyway.On another note though it seems that single user licences may be limited to US and Canada at the moment.Ive tried to find a UK equivalent and failed.It seems the minimum licence here is 2 licences for the managed version...
    http://eu.shopmcafee.com/DRHM/servl...oductListPage&SiteID=mcafee&categoryID=547600
    and the US site refuses customers outside of that territory..or at least it did for me.Are you using it with a router kerodo?....i notice it doesnt stealth all ports, many are closed when used on its own,though i guess its easy to set rules for this.
    ellison

13. ellison64

14. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yes, I am behind a router here, so have not checked it's stealth capabilities.

15. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

16. ellison64

Thanks .. i thought it looked rather different to MDF.
    ellsion

17. liang_mike

I would think Host Intrusion Prevention is designed for businesses, just like Desktop Firewall.

18. Arup

Arup Guest

This is indeed a product aimed at corporates, one of the reasons, McAfee never touts it as a home product where they tout the weaker desktop verison 4x firewall, one of the reasons, you see avalibility of multiple licences. However it also makes an excellent home firewall for a seasoned user.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.