McAfee AV free for a year

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by halcyon, May 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

I am a bit surprised that everyone is so excited about this. :doubt:

Are you all so keen on this because is a free suite? I would think reading the threads on this forum site and some of the recent AV reviews that the AV is not in the top group. I cannot comment on the suite and whether the other modules make up for this but wonder if there are not other and better free solutions available?;)

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

McAfee is and will stay in the top group. Maybe it's not standing out by advertising the most advanced heuristics or signature updates released every minute, but they certanly have a nicely balanced program. Besides, those that kinda slipped back are now slowly coming back. Just look at Norton. NIS2007 is very popular suite and many users here on Wilders recommend it. And i have to say i can recommend McAfee VirusScan Plus 2007 anytime.
    It's not bloated, it's modular and Security Center is serving much better than in version 10 and older (basically you can't see the line between Security center and actual components). And now all this is free for 1 year. Hell yeah, grab it! :D

3. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Its currently free so i'm giving it a test spin, if it doesn't work out then easy come easy go. So far its been running great, uses a bit more memory than other products but seems to run very light, my laptop still feels quick and responsive and my web browsing is still fast.

4. Seishin

Seishin Registered Member

Thx but neither Norton nor McAfee will never touch this machine of mine.

5. coolbluewater

coolbluewater Registered Member

Lol. Yeah, Herpes being free also comes to mind, but since I have a spare PIII laptop laying around, it could use some punishment ;)
    Thank you to halcyon and Wilders for alerting me to the freebie :thumb:

6. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Which version is this? Is it possible when you sign up to get the key to use it on a system with McAfee preinstalled? My mothers friends computer that I brought up to date when new doesn't have any updated protection despite my repeated ranting :doubt: .

Thank you, innerpeace

7. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

I once said the same for both Norton and Vista, lol.

8. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

So how does this free* product compare to other free AV's? Is it recommended over AVG, Avast, Antivir and AOL AVS? Also, how much resources does it use?

*I realize free for only one year.

9. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Resource use on my system.

Attached Files:

10. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

I have no idea why you guys are so excited about this McAfee deal. Avast!, Antivir, and AVS are 100% free, have better detection rates, and all 3 run lighter. Anyone that thinks the McAfee 2007 suite isn't bloated needs to check their task manager stat. It has 12+ processes and easily uses over 50MB of memory. A customer had it loaded on her new Dell Latitude D610 (C2D, 1GB DDR2) and the system wasn't totally bogged down, but once I ran MCPR.exe to remove it, I could feel the difference. I then installed AVG free & SPYWAREfighter which had little impact on system performance.

11. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Works fine on my old laptop. Everyones computer is different. :D

12. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

I think you meant to say that everyones tolerance for bloated apps is different. :eek:

13. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

If you say so...

14. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

I love all the comments (e.g., it's heavier, no it's lighter, it's faster, no it's slower, etc.) and yes I realize there are many variables...

So, here are some numbers:

Exact same system running McAfee VirusScan Plus compared to running Avira AntiVir PE and Outpost Pro 4.x.

With McAfee (as compared to Avira and OP):

6 additional processes
    26MB less memory used
    based on Passmark Performance Test: 2.6% faster

In general, McAfee feels neither significantly faster or lighter than Avira + OP (and it definitely does not feel heavier or slower).

15. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

16. Siro

Siro Registered Member

I dont think it is that bad an option and especially if it is free of cost :)

17. Howard Kaikow

Read the link I posted.

MCAfee VS 10 and 2007 DELETE files during a scan. There os NO option to prevent the deletion. By itself, this is sufficient reason to not use the product.

And it is high overhead.

18. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

just got the virusscan installed, seems to run fine, nothing special but seems to do its job.

i prefer the old 2006 layout of the program though.

19. Bo9us

Bo9us Registered Member

I just did a scan and it Quarantined the Trojan file, and I can restore it any time.
    Anyway I don't like the the short options, I like to make my won options in the antivirus and the firewall, so I'll give at a try for a week to decide.

20. Martijn2

Martijn2 Registered Member

Mine Quarantines files only, which you can put back (except the cookies, which he deletes). And about the automatic cleaning, McAfee isn't the only one, I also got Drweb which haven't got a ignore button when it detects something in real-time. And btw, mcafee has a VERY low FP rate, so what it detects is mostly reall.. ;)

Last edited: May 12, 2007
  21. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

Does this link only apply to US citizens or worldwide ?

22. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I'm not from US and i'm using it nicely :)

23. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

Also I hope this does not download directly as an installation prog but better still saves to your HDD so it can be put on a CD.

24. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i aint from the US and its working fine here.

not as good as my doctor, but its pretty good... i just have the virusscan installed, and it does its job, its a big company and its free, for a whole year,

so........

25. Howard Kaikow

It does not always backup/quarantined.

In my case, I had VS 10 for a year, but never used it for a scan because I was not about to allow files to be deleted. I have a multiboot systyem, so scanning was done from anothe OS with NAV or KAV.

In Feb 2007, I installed VS 2007, did a full backup, 12-14 files were deleted, only a few were backed up or quarantined. And resource usage was awful, at least compared with KAV 6.

I now have KAV 6 on all 4 of the OS on my multiboot system, the performance difference is profound.

The risk of having files deleted by McAfee makes that product worthless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.