McAfee Anti-virus warning

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by fct1948, Oct 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fct1948

fct1948 Registered Member

After running my McAfee Anti-virus scan, I keep getting one warning which it calls "potentially unwanted." The file name is as follows:

C:\Documents and Settings\[my name]\Local Settings\Temp\jkill.exe

What is "jkill.exe?" Does anyone know what this means? Is it something I need to delete or is it harmless? This has happened the last several times I've run McAfee scan. Your advice will be gratefully appreciated.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Giant Antispyware knows this file.

Giant

3. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Hi

It seems to be part of an adware called 180searchassistant Link . In the add/remove programs see if 180searchassistant is there, if it is then you can try this:

1. Download Ad-Aware install it and update it.

2. Reboot into Safemode, in safemode go to add/remove and uninstall 180 search ass. Then delete your TEMP files by doing the following: open up Internet Explorer> Tools> Internet Options> General TAB> Temporary Internet Files> Delete Files> Delete All Offline Content.

3. Still in safemode do a scan with both Mcafee and Ad-Aware and clean/delete. Reboot into normal mode.

Hopefully you will now be clean. :)

Just a suggestion :)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2004
  4. fct1948

fct1948 Registered Member

Thanks guys for the helpful assistance. I will follow your instructions. Have a good day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.