McAfee Anti-Spyware Enterprise Edition v.8.5

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Perman, Apr 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: My friend's boss installs this app on all workstations. And he is very much impressed. I searched McAfee's web site and have the same impression too. But my not-too-good past experience w/ McAfee's AS(for home user ?) has put me on hold. Has anyone here had some hand-on experience w/ this Enterprise edition? I like to hear from you. Thanks. BTW, this edition is a kind of standalone copy.

2. mitchelson

mitchelson Registered Member

A perfect app combines AV with HIPS functions( very strong FD & RD/ basic AD). To some extend, it can replace FW as having the ability to monitor&block any ports according to user's setting.

The configuration is a little complex, may take some time for you to get uesd to . But, it can nearly prevent any threats if the setting is good enough.

3. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,Michelson: Thanks for reply. So this AS does have AV's ability plus some FW capability. Is that why you do not have AV on your desktop unit? Would it conflict w/ any AV (I use Avast home) or Prevx1. You also use Prosecurity, would their HIPS function be in conflict each other. Since v.8.5 sa is a standalone version, perhaps AS w/ enterprise class is a big plus for home user ? I will see whether I can get a hand on test run. Wish me luck.

4. coldplay

coldplay Registered Member

McAfee AV/AS Enterprise Edition v.8.5/i 8.5.

from what I've heard , its not friendly for home users but could best tools for a security admin. You need to know how to set good rules or at least you download good rules from somewhere.

5. mitchelson

mitchelson Registered Member

1. Wish you good luck! ;)
    2. As I already have installed MaAfee 8.5i which is basically a AV, I don't have to plus another one. In fact, I once installed Avira Antivir as a supplement which can cooperate wth McAfee very well.
    3. ProSecurity has no conflict with McAfee 8.5i .
    4. The AS module is working with the same definition of AV , it can't run as a standalone app.

6. ahinterl

ahinterl Registered Member

Have McAfee Enterprise programs installed as well (Firewall, VirusScan, Anti-Spyware), and catched a malware this week which McAfee cannot clean/detect with the on demand scanner, only report with the real time scanner (get continuous popups of the anti spyware module)! F**k! Downloaded the Prevx Demo just to do anything to get rid of the s**t trojan.

This experience showed me McAfee isn't all that good in the anti malware arena.

Andreas

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.