McAfee 8i vs F-Prot

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by larouse, Oct 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. larouse

larouse Registered Member

Hi,

Some experience and suggest to Install and work between:

Virusscan Mcafee 8i ( Enterprise ) vs F-Prot 3.15b

All aspects ( Virus, Trojans, Worms, etc, etc )

Thank you and Understand that everybody will give personal experience and I appreciate yours opinions,

Thank you,

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Both are good programs but concerning your question ( Virus, Trojans, Worms, etc, etc ) I would have to go with mcafee. Mcafee has a pretty fair detection rate in those areas.Probably the best three are Mcafee KAV NOD. Also special mention to DR.Web

3. larouse

larouse Registered Member

Dr. Web is Good but Thing ( personal opinion ) has false detections (some times ) and think that run with more resources that F-Prot.....is correct ?

Do you think that Dr. Web would be better option beteween both ?

Thank you,

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

All mentioned antivirus programs are well thought of.

F-Prot is a lightweight, fast, program by design. They have been around a long time and have a large database of malware.
    It ranks with the best of them in my opinion.

F-prot

F-Prot Antivirus for Windows currently detects more than 132541 known viruses, worms, trojans and other threats against the security of your system and your data. In addition, the program's innovative and integrated heuristic detection capabilities provide the best possible protection against unknown future threats that may emerge.

FRISK Software's antivirus experts maintain an active vigil around the clock to catch new threats in their infancy and to provide our customers with new virus signature files as soon as possible. The virus signature files are updated every few days and whenever necessary.

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

The big difference between f-prot and mcafee is that Mcafee detects trojans and worms better. although if you like f-prot you can always use an antitrojan if you don't already. Mcafee has a def file data base of over 100.000. But in the end the one you should use is the one that you like and that works the best in your computer.

bigc

6. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

F-Prot for Windows, is a real bare-bones scanner still, which some people prefer. Features such as quarantine, an email scanner and a better unpacking engine are due in the next version. It has a very small footprint, only 464K. Overall detection is good but not as good as the McAfee engine; http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/ergebnisse/report03.pdf

McAfee 8.0i has a lot more features than F-Prot ( Buffer Overflow Protection, Port Blocking etc ) but still runs light, despite a larger memory footprint, 33,000K VM.

False positives are not as great as most people think and of late they seem to be quickly corrected; https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=52834

Dr Web, without the email scanner, takes up 1440K, with the scanner, an additional 3784K. So yes, it takes up slightly more memory than F-Prot but there is no noticeable effect on a system's speed of operation.
    I have used all 3 but this is the best advice we can give you.

7. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I think false positives are something normal (ok except for Pest Patrol which is terrible). avast! had few of them when they added load of generic signatures,but this was (for me) just a trade off for a stronger detection.
    FP were also corrected the same day (only few hours later) so it was no big deal. I assume other companies fix FP as fast as in my case.
    Thats why antiviruses have exclusion lists.

Ok back on topic.
    There is a few things that seperates McAfee and F-Prot.
    McAfee has a killing detection rate,but its memory usage isn't so low as with F-Prot. I see you're refering to McAfee Enterprise 8.0i which also offers Buffer Overflow protection and IDS (Intrusion Detection System) which doesn't requre signatures (similar to Prevx). This can be very useful.
    The only thing that i'm not sure is the rate of updates. McAfee is well known to use weekly updates,but i'm not sure for Enterprise version.

8. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Yes, even with the Enterprise edition, official DAT updates are only weekly.

Whereas, F-Prot and Dr Web update more more frequently.

9. westwind

westwind Registered Member

fp scans faster than mc.
    but for Trojans.mc is much more stronger in preventing remaked trojan.

10. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Fellow Creatures,
    Good horse race here on MF 8.0i and F-Prot. I like Command AV but will likely move on at end of yearly updates.

Perhaps the best for me and others like me wanting smaller mem. useage on older slower machine, would be F-Prot with BoClean. :doubt:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.