McAfee 2009 Range now available

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by vijayind, Sep 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Wow, McAfee scores as well as Norton with Artemis. I'll have to try out that beta, and it looks like I've finally found my security solution when Comcast users get it.

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

shame mcafee home versions are still resourse hogs. i was hoping they would do what symantec have done with norton.

3. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

But if it's free (with Comcast) and has great detection, then I won't worry about the heaviness as my computer is pretty new. :)

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

true i guess.
    i can get nis2007 free from BT hoping they will update it to 2009 version soon.
    not nessacearly for me but for my friend who doesnt have much money who also uses bt as his isp and other customers.

5. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

I'm running Kaspersky like you are, lodore, and KIS2009 runs the best any Kaspersky product has run on my computer. So I'll see how the McAfee beta runs.

In the beta section, I saw McAfee Total Protection Beta. This has Artemis?

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

first off good choice.

back on topic.
    i belive it does

7. Artemis

Artemis Registered Member

:eek: Escalate that support call sir. :eek:

But I do have some good news, Artemis only queries suspicious files and there are very few on your average PC and the test itself is lightning quick too, nothing like updating as you know it today or tomorrow ;)

8. Artemis

Artemis Registered Member

Got an answer to your question.

It probably won't have a UI in the consumer line so Artemis will look just like any other detection.

If you have some feedback on this the best place is in the beta feedback.

E&OE (of course) ;)

9. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Artemis will be hidden ?

Artemis was supposed to be available as opt-in or opt-out in the consumer version (not referring to the beta). Maybe also for legal reasons ? :rolleyes:

So, what's going to happen ? (And when).

Extra 'unknown' spying (my perspective) by McAfee ? Do I need to uninstall McAfee ? :rolleyes:

Contrary to Microsoft's and McAfee's view, my computer is still my own, and is not 'licensed'. :rolleyes:

10. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

McAfee developers have clearly spelled in out. Beta has implicitly Artemis, consumer version has opt-in Artemis.
    But consumer version, may not have an explicit option as 'Artemis' enable/disable. But a generic option, to allow/ban connecting and sharing info with McAfee Avert Labs.

Note: 2009 consumer range as of now , does not have Artemis module. McAfee after end of TF3 beta, may include Artemis into consumer products. But in all likely hood the same won't occur. I am guessing that like Trend Micro, McAfee is also restricting cloud detection to Enterprise products only. Maybe due to the cost-to-renumeration ratio for this new technology.
    As of now the only home user AV product which provides in-the-cloud detection is Panda 2009 Pro.

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

f-secure also provides in the cloud technology for home users.

12. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Partial quote above.

This allow/ban regarding sharing info with McAfee Avert Labs will be something new ? Because, right now I don't see it in Virusscan Plus.

During a (customized?) installation of McAfee 2008 there is an option that one can check or uncheck, about sending data (maybe the word Hackerwatch is used) to McAfee, and that may have worked in the past, but right now all sorts of information (visited sites, scans, what's detected) will be sent to McAfee anyway (see EULA, privacy policy, or something like that), regardless of what the user wants.

13. vijayind

From what I am given to understand, it will be included alongside the HackerWatch and VirusWatch options.

Again not all sorts of info, will be sent. If McAfee finds a file as suspicious, then it will send only the hash of the file to Avert Labs server. It will at no point in time, send the actual file.

14. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I've never heard of VirusWatch. (But I don't have 2009 yet).

An ambiguous answer.

15. vijayind

Sorry, I guessed that option to sent Virus stats was VirusWatch. I don't have McAfee at home now. Only at work.

Ambiguous ?
    I though it was clear. As of 2008-09, Artemis is only available for Enterprise users and consumer beta testers.
    On the sidelines, Artemis doesn't send any personal info only file hash to McAfee servers.

16. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Post 60 suggests that 'Artemis' will be included in the consumer version at some point, and won't be visible in the UI.

Btw, I have no idea what TF3 means.

17. vijayind

My exact statement in that post was:
    Now I say again, in most probability there will be no Artemis for consumer products under the McAfee 2009 range.

TF3 = Total Protection 3 ( released as Total Protection 2009 ).
    McAfee has a beta of its running till dec-08. It has artemis built-in explicitly, without any option of opt-out. There is a separate thread for McAfee Beta, please look up the same for details :thumb:

18. apm

apm Registered Member

"Introducing McAfee Artemis Technology – Collapsing the gap with on-demand, real-time malware protection for known and unknown threats "
    does it mean that there will only be Artemis for on-demand scan?

19. Pseudo

Pseudo Registered Member

"Collapsing the gap with on-demand, real-time malware."

Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  20. lodore

lodore Registered Member

does mcafee offer lastest versions as free upgrade?
    if you renew does it add to the current or start a new and lose what you already got?
    im asking for a friend btw.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
  21. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Assuming the account was registered at McAfee, not Dell or some other third party for simplicity:

As long as your subscription is current you'll be upgraded automatically.
    You don't have to pay extra money (assuming the upgrade went smoothly and you don't need phone support ...).

I'm not sure about the renew part, McAfee uses auto-renewal for its products.

22. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thanks.

23. wenbin

wenbin Registered Member

My McAfee comes with Dell laptop. Does it mean I have to stay with McAfee 2008 while others are enjoying McAfee 2009? :'(

24. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Hey,

I believe you're stuck with what you have because what Dell does with those security vendors is an agreement to include a 3 months trial of those suites and, when that trial is over you've got to buy a one year subscription.

Sadly that the way it works.

Carlos

25. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Probably.

Dell will upgrade when it will see fit. No idea when that will be.

But I don´t have the impression that the 2009 range is (much) better than the 2008 range. Just make sure you get your signature updates.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.