Mcafee 2006

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by maddawgz, Oct 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Thanks Smokey. I forgot to mention that. :rolleyes:

2. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

No problem at all, I had just a clear moment!;)

3. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

Is the Comcast free McAfee updating to this new version?

4. Graystoke

Yes. Comcast's McAfee antivirus is VS 10 and the firewall is PFP 7.

5. Access Denied

Thanks,

Eliot

6. JBB

JBB Registered Member

Can anyone tell me how much "Memory" McAfee Virusscan 10 is actually using on your PC, as shown by task manager ?

7. Access Denied

8. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

thanks everyone my subscription runs out october in 1yr ..anyhooooooooo
    Now back to that that problem of scanning..it gets stuck in documents and settings IM folder..outbox or something..i uninstalled incredimail..to see if it was that and yes it kept scanning..but i also stuffed up my IM!! So i system restored..how can iget past this outbox issue I left it on all day? Anoying besides i like Mcafee now..and Im i dont want to ditch either thanks MD o_O

9. JBB

JBB Registered Member

Eliot,

Is your list of memoery usage the entire Mcafee Suite, Mcafee + Mcafee Firewall, or just the Mcafee VirusScan 10 Antivirus ?

I am intertested in just how much memory is being used by the Mcafee Virusscan 10/Antivirus component(s).

10. Access Denied

Its the whole new suite. ;)

11. Graystoke

I'm using McAfee VS 10 and I have IncrediMail. I'm not having the problem you are having. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling McAfee? I would give that a try. Uninstall McAfee, run a good registry cleaner like RegSeeker, and reinstall McAfee. If the same problem occurs, maybe it is something to do with IncrediMail. You can try uninstalling/reinstalling IncrediMail. You'll have to save any important e-mails in your IncrediMail folders. I would run a registry cleaner after that also. I uninstalled/reinstalled Incredimail a couple of times. I know doing uninstalls and reinstalls is a pain, but it might be worth it if it fixes the problem.

12. Access Denied

McAfee is not even in my add/remove programs list. :eek: Thank goodness I created an image prior to installing that for trial purposes. :D

13. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have always been inclined to like mcafee antivirus. Until I installed ver 10. I won't be purchasing Mcafee again anytime soon unless they make some major changes to the way it registers and updates. I removed it and reinstalled my other av again which is working really great so I will stal with it and quit trying every new version 5hat comes along. The new version of the av I am running now was a great improvement over the previous one so some companies are getting better. I said I would post when I tried mcafee antivirus 2006 ver10, well this is it. To sum up my feelings about ver10 is easy it in my opinion is really a pain in the a## and not worth the hassle.

bigc

14. Graystoke

Very curious. Which AV did you go back to using? :)

15. maddawgz

greystoke i just left it..cuz last time i uninsalled IM i stuffed it up!! i do dont many on demand scans anyhow :eek:

16. Graystoke

maddawgz.

I'm no longer using McAfee VS 10 as of last Friday. I just wasn't happy with it. I went back to using Trend Micro Internet Security 2005. According to Trend's tech support, I'll be able to upgrade to TMIS 2006, when it comes out in November, at no charge. So that's a good deal.

I hope you get things sorted out with the problem you are having with McAfee.

Graystoke.:)

17. mikel108

mikel108 Registered Member

From reading the posts, I am glad I did not purchase Mcafee Internet Security 2006 this week-end. It was on for $40 Canadian (about $34 US).

18. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

I too left Mcafee. Had it for a yr. all together. Wasn't that bad of a system .But I did a trial of Kav security suite and bought it. 3 processes and less memory usage then Mcafee and runs great. I also feel alot more secure with Kav. Very happy with it.

19. bigc73542

I tried Kav and mcafee and Nod32 and went back to Norton Internet security 2005. According to VB and checkmark and AV comparatives nortons detection is as good as any av available. And is able to repair most of everything it finds. It has never let me down and the 2005 version is a large program but it runs extremely light. i have used symantec products since 2000 and they have made a great improvement in 2005 and hopefully even more in the 2006 version.

bigc

20. tom772

tom772 Guest

Hi big C, I was wondering what problems you are having with Mcafee 2006 version 10 as i have used Nod32 and version 9 of McAfee for a while and was maybe hoping to upgrade next year to the latest. I would really be creatful for any info you can provide on scanning times, CPU Usage etc?

Thanks Tom772

21. bigc73542

It scanned really slow. My NIS takes 40 mins. for a full scan and mcafee 10 took over an hour. And processor use is not a concern here as I have excess to play with so I didn't check the actual usage. But i would not recomend mcafee 10 for a slower machine as with most of the newer av versions as they all are starting to use more resources as they are having to scan more intently to try and find all of the newer malware.

22. Graystoke

Thanks bigc73542.

NAV 2006 is supposed to have daily updates through LiveUpdate when used with Windows XP. Maybe someone will be able to varify that one of these days.:)

23. maddawgz

greystoke i think i will too? im waiting on reviews of Norton 2006 perhaps its less bulky then b4 but trend I've always been a huge fan off cant wait to see there 2006 version..its great u can update to 2006..MD

24. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

I would definitely choose McAfee over AVG. I can get McAfee free through Comcast, but I use a KAV resident with NOD32 backup combination. I know what AV Comparitives says about Norton and McAfee, but my own experience says that both KAV and NOD32 are better for that lesser known, newer zoo malware you find.

25. mattc

mattc Guest

I used nav for a long time. Also tried avast and avg. I received a 90 day trial of mcafee with a new dell a few months ago. It worked fine. I purchased sec suite 7 (2005) at the end of my trial.

I have nod32 on one of my machines, nav 2005 on another and I just installed mcafee antivirus 2006 today after uninstalling the 2005 version from the mcafee suite.

My memory has improved by about 40-45 megs! I have been able to scan with mcafee faster than nod32 and symantec. You can't beat nod32 updates. Sometimes 2-3 times a day. They are really on the ball.

My only concern with mcafee is that my understanding is if a virus is found, it automatically tries to delete it. That is really dangerous. As I haven't had a virus yet, I don't what the program will do.

But it is an easy install, I've put it on neighbors machines, and it works well. I know Kaspersky is excellent, but I heard it can be quite intrusive.

So at this early juncture, it seems that the code is more well written this year than last. I also updated my Spysweeper (on another note), and like mcafee, it seems the new version manages memory much better. So companies are learning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.