McAfee 10.x...ActiveX?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by QBgreen, Sep 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zcv

zcv Registered Member

I'm having a schadenfreude moment :D

I'm glad that your experience with ActiveX is a happy one Ed.
    The issue is the probability of a particular code's mis use. So I find it atonishing that someone would write that ActiveX and java script are no more pontentially harmfull than Notepad.

The hole in your logic is that personal experience must be universal.

2. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Registered Member

I'm sorry, but I think you took what I was saying beyond the point I was trying to make. I never said it was just as safe as running notepad, thats just plain silly. I meant any API that is intended to run code within a browser.

What I was trying to say was no matter what technologies are used, there is always a risk. A person has to weigh the risks to their perceived benefits. I listed my personal experience with ActiveX as just that, my personal experience and did not say or intend the statement as a proof that running ActiveX is totally safe, just that in MY EXPERIENCE, I have not had any problems. This can be taken for what it is worth by the intelligent members of this board. If you hate ActiveX or Java, thats your right not to use it. I am not a huge fan of either technologies but they do work and whether we like it or not are pretty widely used in alot of software and web sites. Security software does seem to get large critics by the very nature of the potential security exploits which can occur running these. However, most people who are not biased against Mcafee, will tell you it might not be the best out there but it really is no slouch either. I am not sure how many Mcafee users have had their systems compromised because of the the need to be running ActiveX with Mcafee. All I know is I have never had it happen nor seen it on any systems I have supported that ran it.

All in all as I said each person needs to make their own choices as to what is safe enough for them to run. Heck I have known some people who will not even ride in cars or fly in planes because they feel the risks are too great for them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.