MBR Error 3 boot problem

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by lmurg, Dec 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lmurg

lmurg Registered Member

I have installed Acronis 10 suite and partitioned my 100 gb hd into a win xp partition and 2 linux partitions (1 is swap). I have WinXP home and Linux Fedora and the OS selector used to be running fine. At one point I startetd to get this message "MBR Error 3" while rebooting or while waking up the laptop from hibernation.
    However, today, when I finished at work, I hibernated my laptop. At home, I tried to start it but it doesn't want to boot up at all. It still gives the MBR error 3 message but then hangs there without doing anything anymore. I changed the boot order from BIOS to try booting from the CD (Acronis and System restore) but it doesn't boot them. What is the problem? Any help please? I am desperate because I didn't back-up important data I have on hd and I don't know what to do anymore.

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

The MBR error 3 of itself is not a problem, I often get it on boot up, though it depends on which boot.ini (I have a 4 partition system, with 2 XP, 2K and Solaris) OSS is pointing at.

If you have made a rescue CD, then I suggest boot from this and try re-activating OSS or, if this doesn't work, boot into the partition you want. Once in, close XP down as normal and your problem should be solved.

Sorry, just read you did make a rescue CD, if the rescue CD won't boot, then I suspect it is faulty - have you tried it in another PC?

Colin

3. cortez

cortez Registered Member

When trouble occurs I often have to (try to) boot up, then shut off, boot up several times when trying to boot up to the stand alone CD version of Disk director before it finally does boot up. Why this is so I don't know (Make sure the disk is very clean). Double check your bios for "boot from CD" choice and if succsessful (waiting is common) then install the "Full Version" before opening any OS. Again I don't know why but often this is sufficient to correct the booting problem(s). Take out the DD10 Disk then exit and shut down and boot again, this might do the trick. If you still can't boot up try various ultilities from Hard Disk manufacturers, even those different from your drive type, (Download them from a friend's machine). Some even insert the MBR! If still unlucky then try other bootable CDs from third party utilities (again download trail versions on a friend's machine if you can't borrow them). SystemSuite, Norton, PC Mechanic (the list is long) but one might work. Good luck. Don't forget XP's repair console or starting in safe mode. The thing is to try unexpected proceedures and experimentation ( with due caution of course). There is risk involved so If your data is unreplacable then consulting a pro might be unavoidable.

4. rasar100

rasar100 Registered Member

I had the same mbr 3 problem at boot up. I tried to boot with my xp original cd to fix the mbr. After fixing the mbr, at boot up I was still getting the mbr3 error. One time I forgot to press a key when display asked me weather to boot from cd or windows. After few seconds, acronis os selector came on the screen with multi boot option. If I remove the xp cd from drive, I again get the mbr error. So, I left it in the drive permanantly.
    As long as the cd is inside the tray, acronis os selector is working.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.