MBAM

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Firebytes, Oct 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

I was updating MBAM's definitions via it's updater and it also updated to the latest program version (1.29). There was no notice that a program update was available with an option not to install at that time (which I think it needs)...it just did it.

After the update was finished I noticed that on the update window it stated that it was strongly recommended that an uninstall of the old version be done before installing the new 1.29 version...hmmm, a little late for that notice since it already updated itself.

Anyway, I thought to play it safe I would uninstall MBAM, reboot, and then install 1.29 again. Since I was going to be installing MBAM again I didn't use REVO Uninstaller like I usually do. I just used MBAM's own uninstaller. After uninstalling MBAM I got a notice that it could not remove everything but that I could manually remove the rest. I didn't worry to much about it as I was goinjg to be installing MBAM again. As the system was booting I got a pop-up that stated something to the effect of "Windows cannot find C:\Program Files...". Since I wasn't sure what had happened I just restored Windows to an earlier time. Then I downloaded the 1.29 version of MBAM, uninstalled my current version of MBAM using REVO (MBAM appears to leave a ton of junk behind), did not reboot, and then installed 1.29. After that I rebooted and did not get the pop-up again about not being able to find C:\Program Files (which I had never seen before this instance).

Has anyone else tried uninstalling MBAM 1.29 and did you have any problems or was this just some glitch on my machine?

2. Dark Star 72

Dark Star 72 Registered Member

Yes, I had the same message to uninstall old version - install 1.29.
    Uninstalled MBAM using its own uninstaller, got the bit about manually removing the left overs.
    Did start > run > 'regedit' > HKEY_CURRENT_USER > software > MBAM > delete
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > software > MBAM > delete.
    Installed 1.29 without any problems and I still have the log of past scans.

3. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

Last night I upgraded 1.29 over my 1.28 install on Win XP SP3, rebooted as prompted, and the OS came up just fine. Afterwards I uninstalled, rebooted, and reinstalled just for kicks and grins.

4. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

Maybe the problem here was caused by me not rebooting between MBAM updating itself and my initial attempt to uninstall it. There was no prompt to reboot after MBAM updated itself though.

I guess I must have done something wrong or just experienced a glitch since no one else seems to be reporting a problem.

Thanks for the responses.

5. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

I also installed directly over v. 1.28. No issues. As a matter of fact, this is the best running version of MBAM that I've run on my XP Pro SP3 machine.

6. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Updated without a hitch using the internal updater. :thumb:

7. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I updated and saw the re-install is strongly recommended too. So I uninstalled and re-installed from their web site. All went well, however, it still says re-install is strongly recommended. I don't think so. I think it's there in error. o_O

8. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Is this what you are referring to?
    http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=6864&st=20&start=20

9. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Yeah that's it. I never thought to check their forum. Rubber Ducky says it's just news, and said he would change the wording if we like. I replied that he should just leave the "reinstall is strongly recommended" off. We tend to follow directions. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.