MBAM

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Meriadoc, Jun 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Someone

Someone Registered Member

2. Perman

Perman Registered Member

""Free is scan and remove , pay will block malware from running ""

Hi,
    Does this mean any malwares which are detected and removed by free scan would have been blocked by real time scanner if paid version had been deployed ?

If this is true, then paid version users will never have to use free scanner to remove malwares, because those would have been blocked by real time scanner already.

3. nosirrah

nosirrah Malware Fighter

The only way that could be true would be for me to have 100% of all new malware in defs before the user was able to be infected by it .

Malware happens , I do my best to try and stay ahead but I cant be ahead of everything .

4. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

But you are very close and I very much appreciate your efforts to do so.

Gerard

5. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

My guess is there is nothing on your system to find. If there's something there MBAM will probably find it. :cool:

6. PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT Registered Member

M B A M : Magnificent Best Anti - Malware ! Yeah !!! :cool: Cool .

7. PiCo

PiCo Registered Member

Does MBAM scan within archives (rar, zip etc)? I think it only scans executable file types.

I am asking cause I couldn't find it in a setting or so :)

8. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

We have witnessed/experienced MBAM's super performance/achievement. And I echo your assessments.

Perhaps I should have rephrased my question in this way:

I have paid version, and did not turn on real time protection yet. During on demand scan, MBAM detects and removes malwares A, B, and C.
    My core question is this: If the real time protection is on, will these malwares A, B, and C be automatically blocked ?

If this question can be cleared up, there will be few more new sigh up under my influence. Thanks.

9. Someone

I agree.:cool:

10. nosirrah

nosirrah Malware Fighter

It depends on the infection as many that MBAM goes after have the majority of their components as non file . VAC is like this . It does loads of hijacking like adding Virus Alert! to your clock and hiding all of your drives . This kind of malware fallout can only be detected and corrected with a scan . There are also userinit , shell and other hijacks that can only be fixed with a scan . The guard is better at blocking the core installer but if something does get in , you need to scan to be sure that you got all of it and the damage has been reversed .

MBAM is not antivirus software and is not designed to work the same way at all . Antivirus for the most part does most of its work on the malicious file while MBAM works with complete infections . MBAM can also use multiple ways to detect a file , some of which dont function in the guard because it would slow it down way to much .

11. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

If you purchase MBAM Pro, how long does the license last? Is there a one year license? Doesn't say at the website (at least I haven't found it), but I guess it is one year?

12. nosirrah

nosirrah Malware Fighter

Forever .

13. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

Forever? Ok, that's great. I love these offers!

Thanks for the prompt reply.

14. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

In the words of the song...

But seriously -- a 1-off license is not a sound business concept IMO. It's like a Ponzi, in a way. It costs $$$ to continuously update engine & signatures. What happens when the stream of income from new license sales dwindles from a river to a rivulet to a dry wadi?

15. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I dunno about that, these guys been around a very long time and seem to made it their life-long ambition in the battle to keep users consistently equipped with something useful to pull out the bugs. I know, i was working HijackThis Forums and these guys were addressing bad malware with tools & utilities way back then.

I'm sure they have plenty of options at their disposal to keep the well from ever going dry. LoL

I'm not a bit surprised at the Quality or the Updates of MBAM, and glad to see they've really taken the Bull by the horns again, but then they never stopped. :cool:

16. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

I like Mbam. It is fast and plays nice with other anti scanners.
    As far as Pro and purchasing once forever; maybe offer one first purchase, then a reduced maintenence rate, eg. $xx.99 initial purchase - $x.99 per year thereafter.

I think I found a Trojan not detected by Mbam, of course this was a few weeks ago so, could have caught up by now. If you would like I could PM you the link to the website. Apparently only Norman MC found the infection. I scanned with 5 different scanners before the site and the same 5 after the site. There isn't a detailed log, but it injects into explorer.exe, elsewhere unsure of. (Not an intentional malware hunter, but this time decided to test a hunch.)

If the [whisper=nosirrah][/whisper] code were active or available, I could post the link and only you and the Admins could see it.

17. nosirrah

nosirrah Malware Fighter

You sound a lot like the people that said a handful of guys would not be able to make software that effectively removes and keeps up with current malware . I kind of like guys like you , it keeps me fired up to try even harder . The "you cant do this" people are just as motivating as the "your doing great" people .

There is not much about MBAM that falls into the "this is the way its done" catagory . When you have only a few guys that are far better than entire teams of guys from other companies it does not take much $ for everyone to do quite well .

Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  18. nosirrah

nosirrah Malware Fighter

You can PM malware links to me here or at any of the forums I frequent , I am nosirrah at all of them .

Malware links are the best in terms of user support of our product . There is nothing better than being able to completely replicate an infection and then test it over and over to confirm and bypass its detection avoidance tricks .

19. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Add to the list of security forums (Gladiator, MajorGeeks and BBR) specializing in malware removal that use Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware... Dell, SWI (SpywareInfo) and WhattheTech (formerly TomCoyote).

20. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Please tell us what you envision happening that would cause new lifetime license sales to dry up. And please also explain why an annual license renewal business model would be exempt from whatever it is that you envision.

21. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

There are plenty of softwares that are a lifetime lic while others go for the yearly lic and still others are free.
    I dont believe it is this that deciedes the fate as in how long the app will live but in how dedicated the people behind the app are.
    And in MBAM's case I would say very dedicated.

22. Someone

I agree 100%.

Also, I would like to add that MBAM has the fastest update frequency of any anti-malware I've used! Though I realise this isn't the full picture, it's still a good sign.

23. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks:

In spite of all good things we know about this marvelous product, I do find one issue that still can not go away:

with realtime protection, in a free memory 45-50% environment, MBAM tends to drag system, in other words, all tasks are not that snappy anymore. This issue does not exist when real time protection removed.

I do not find this problem with SAS pro (realtime protection enhanced), except it does prolong Windows shut down time by 50%.

I guess, gaining one thing, loosing another thing, but any reasonable remedy ?

24. RubbeR DuckY

RubbeR DuckY Developer

We found an issue with the protection module that does exactly as your described. I plan on having it fixed in version 1.19. Can you please check the event log (eventvwr.exe) for any errors regarding Malwarebytes?

25. RubbeR DuckY

RubbeR DuckY Developer

The protection module is fixed in version 1.19 along with some nice speed tweaks for the scanner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.