MBAM security risk?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Someone, Jul 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Hi

I was reading this page: http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-adware-spyware-scumware-remover.htm

And a comment said:

"A note of caution about Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware:

It uses a very old version of the zlib compression library. I expect it uses this in order to minimize bandwidth used during updates. The version that Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware uses is 1.1.3.1. The most recent version (released on July 18, 2005) is 1.2.3.0. In previous versions, there are known security vulnerabilities; there is at least one possible buffer overflow vulnerability and at least one denial-of-service vulnerability in versions prior to 1.2.3.0. I've already sent an email to the developers requesting that they close this security hole. Hopefully, they will listen."

Is this true?

Thanks

2. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

3. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I don't know anything about it, but if it is true, that's pretty pathetic for security software, and an even more pathetic excuse IMHO. I kind of doubt this report, but we'll see.

Edit: Well, so it is true. Sorry, but that is pretty sad.

4. Someone

Hi

Well Rubber Ducky said "I believe Secunia exaggerated when they said it poses a security threat. The worst that could happen is a targeted attack against Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and it crashes"

5. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

@dw426: you should remember that this info originates from Secunia. Its in their interests to make noise from such information, if I may say so :)

As the link to MBAM forum points out, Marcin already stated the reason for keeping that older library still in use. It's neither pathetic nor sad.

6. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I accept their reason to an extent, but what's most important is it is being fixed. As for Secunia, I like it when they make noise because in my opinion they don't just make noise to hear themselves talk, and that noise alerts me to potential problems so I can be more cautious.

7. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Some folks test & report. Some folks make excuses. Some folks quietly fix problems.

I appreciate the first & the last.

The fact that an outfit like Secunia is testing MBAM has caused my confidence in MBAM to increase, not decrease.

8. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I agree. I'm very confident in MBAM, I just became concerned when it was thought that MBAM used a vulnerable library simply because it used less bandwidth for updating, which WOULD be a poor excuse in my mind. However, the real reason was stated by RubberDucky and it is being fixed promptly, so my concern is now gone and I will continue to use this fine product :)

9. RubbeR DuckY

RubbeR DuckY Developer

Hey everyone,

Secunia had every right to report this problem. Version 1.21 will have the latest version of zlib.dll and the security issue will be fixed.

If I answer your e-mail with the same note as above, I am sorry, but I do not know whose e-mail is what.

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hmmm ... i don,t think they tested MBAM.

11. Someone

Hi

So version 1.2 is still using the old version of zlib.dll?

12. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

According to RubbeR DuckY's post that would be a 'yes'.

13. fcukdat

fcukdat Registered Member

Really this needs to be put into some perspective for want of not seeing a very effective botkiller bad coverage;)

So for all naysayers then read the following news story and maybe time to see the bigger picture of it all!
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=1445&tag=nl.e539

So is any security software really that secure....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.