MBAM anti-malware application

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by twl845, Apr 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

That is correct. I had no problems doing what you described.

2. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

n8chavez,

I haven't tried MBAM again yet but I was thinking that possibly the difference in why it didn't work on my system was that maybe the system needs to be rebooted after installing MBAM. I didn't reboot after installing it since I was under session lock with Returnil at the time. MBAM didn't ask for a reboot when installing either though. Like I said I will test it out again later.

Also, I doubt it makes a difference but I think you are using the paid (resident protection ) version right? I was trying the free version.

3. n8chavez

Yes, I have the paid version (which I got at a discout from SixFiles).

4. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Interesting........
    If I have the GUI open and I wish to right click to scan a file I get this message too.....

123.png

Never thought about this before.
    Not sure I'm concerned about it either.
    This is with the pro version, Guard active.
    Turning guard off has the same results here.

5. Firebytes

If you can't right click and scan a file/folder on demand with the program running (especially with the pro version running all the time) then that kind of kills the point of having the shell extension at all. I wonder why n8chavez is able to do so and we can't? Must be something about our systems.

6. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

But if I want to right click and scan a single file, I don't have the GUI of MBAM open anyway so like I said its no big deal to me.

7. Firebytes

gotcha

8. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

It looks like that MBAM can't scan external drives,if i select my external drive in the scan interface to scan it,then it scans my C:\,very weird !?!.
    Also if i rightclick the drive in comp. management to scan,it starts but after a second it throw up screen '' fineshed sucsessfully '',and a log with nothing found in memory,systemfiles bla bla bla.
    I would say,try it yourself,i'm curious if its only me or...........:oops:

9. n8chavez

I'm sorry but I cannot help you right now as I do not have an external drive. I do plan on going to the University tomorrow where I can meet up with a friend of mine that has one. I will report back then.

10. RubbeR DuckY

RubbeR DuckY Developer

I scarcely get replies about topic notifications. I am subscribed to this thread, weird.

Anyway, the reason the program does not scan when you click on the shell extension and the GUI is open because it would defeat the purpose of a shell extension.

The purpose of the shell extension is to scan a file when the main GUI is closed. Granted, that would be a nice feature to be able to scan a file with the GUI open .. will look into that. :)

11. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

And to my question ?

12. RubbeR DuckY

RubbeR DuckY Developer

Ooops, sorry about that :).

What kind of external drive is it? A USB connected drive? Can you please tell me if it shows up in the Full Scan list?

13. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

It does,but in preferences,defaults are scan ALWAYS registry,memory etc.so if i select my external USB2 drive,i guess it wil scan that drive but always first my system because of that,this is not good because i have to untick the default preferences.It works but its quite an annoyance to do that over and over again if i wish to scan my external drives.

thanks.

14. RubbeR DuckY

RubbeR DuckY Developer

You can click Full Scan and uncheck everything but the external drive. Or, you can scan the external drive with the shell extension, this is probably the best choice.

15. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

No, it will always scan the system (C:\) first,because of the defaults[look in preferences],if i do it from the shell extension,indeed it scan my ext. disk such as music files,office files and stuff but not the compressed Shadow Protect image files.
    After the scan it throw up a log file with nothing relevant in it such as nothing found in memory,nothing found in registry o_O ,nothing found in files.
    I better like to have a logfile from what it actually scant !!! :D

Sorry but this is what i get from it.

16. RubbeR DuckY

RubbeR DuckY Developer

It will not scan your images because they are probably huge files. There is a size limit for scanning. Also, anything being scanned on your C:\ drive is probably memory and heuristics, which should not take more than 1 minute combined.

17. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Admit it scans very fast,great ! But i like to scan only what is selected,and i like to have a log in what it actually scanned. The initial '' default '' scan include also system folders and registry,and on my rig it takes 9 min. to finish,thereafter it scans the selected drive,no there is something definatily wrong with your shell coding,sorry to say so but these are my findings.

These image files are huge (gigs) so i understand

edit : my mistake , initial scan before the selected drive is scanned took 27 sec. i can live with that !!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2008
  18. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Nice GUI (from post #2).

I've never heard of this security app before. Thanks ;)

19. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

So MBAM should be a good one,cause on some cleaning forums,MBAM is the preferred tool,no mention of SAS ! o_O

20. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I am running SAS real time, and installed MBAM for on demand scans the other day. I think this will be a nice combo. :D

21. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

IMO, this is an excellent arrangement !

MBAM is an relatively new product(although been around for a bit :) ) and has a full steam built in, IS an ideal BACKUP, should something very good happen to SAS, then you have an understudy to fall onto.

I am awaiting MBAM's next smart move ( incentive)to get feet wet on its Pro version, and I would urge its developer to prioritize it . :rolleyes:

22. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

As already said,looks very promising,today i did my weekly ondemand scans with both SAS and MBAM.
    MBAM found a trojan, Trojan.Fakealert in progamfiles/rainlendar/uninstall.exe,but SAS stay silent ! Both with most recent signatures.
    Sadly in my hurry i let MBAM clean it,so i can't upload it anymore.

23. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

It could have been a FP since Rainlendar is a legit calendar app. Check the MBAM Quarantine.

24. fcukdat

fcukdat Registered Member

So You had a fake alert icon in your toolbar flashing away trying to goad you into downloading and buying rogue brand X to clean what it claims is active on your PC o_O?

If you had fake alert bot(Trojan) on your machine you would not need an antimalware scanner to tell you it was there;) it would be bugging the hell out of you whilst your pondering where the hell did that come from....

Almost certainly a False/positive by MBAM and not a miss by SAS;)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2008
  25. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

It could be,as already said i have no evidence anymore.

legit app. could be compromised in many ways so i'm not surprised that a trojan was found in Rainlendar executable. But what you said is totally possible,at least SAS found nothing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.