Mbam and Hitman Pro-Not A-vs-B Comparison

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Securon, Feb 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Morning ! Just installed the newest version of MBAM and also have a license for HMP...merely wondering outside of their detection rates...what the main differences are between the two? It seems too me that MBAM has greater configurability as opposed to HMP. My main criteria is achieving lightness along of course with protection. I'm using AppGuard and WSA Essentials...I'm starting to wonder if I even need MBAM Or HMP...or is AppGuard sufficient? Would appreciate your feedback....Sincerely...Securon

2. jo3blac1

jo3blac1 Registered Member

First of all, MBAM is an antimalware not an antivirus. So the rules don't apply here and you can do A vs B comparison all night long in here.

Now having said that. MBAM Pro has active file system protection that HMP lacks, MBAM has IP blocking and prevents you visiting some malicious websites, MBAM blocks IP addresses used by known trojans so if you do get infected and something tries to connect out - it will get blocked. HMP on the other hand uses more than one antivirus engine and can potentially detect more malware. MBAM claims that it detects malware that AV's have trouble finding.

3. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

I use both. I dont run MBAM in real time. I only use them to scan downloaded files. I run MBAM about once a week or on a bi-weekly basis with a scheduled scan. I prefer HMP due to the better chances of detection thanks to the 5 signature databases.

4. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

MBAM checks more areas of your system than Hitman I believe.

5. Noob

Noob Registered Member

True.
    MBAM has better all around protection.

6. Securon

Good Afternoon ! Thanks joblac1 and whitedragon551...many thanks for your prompt replies! Based on your feedback...I'm leaning towards Mbam for my application...for real-time...and using HMP for on-demand useage. Sincerely...Securon

7. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

I don't think you even need either. WSA and appguard and perfectly matched to provide adequate protection. I would use HMP to scan daily/reboot and scan any downloads. Appguard in lockdown or high is excellent in keeping you system clean. WSA only adds to the protection.

8. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

your avatar is nice it looks like a box of cereal :)

9. er34

er34 Guest

MBAM and HitmanPro work differently.

HitmanPro is just on-demand (cloud) scanner - it does provide real time protection. Even free version can run scheduled scans.

MBAM free is on-demand scanner only and does not provide scheduled scan.
    MBAM Pro (paid) provides real-time file system protection and web protection (IP scanner/blocker).

They work differently and you should decide on your own.

I like MBAM Pro but I purchase and install only on people's machine who I consider high risk users - they click everywhere on the Web, install many things. MBAM Pro can on some machine cause some slow down or many unwanted pop-ups for blocked IPs when you uses P2P software such as Skype or uTorrent.

Both HMP and MBAM Pro can sometimes cause false positives - they are kind of more aggressive than regular AVs and you should be prepared for that.

So, taking all the facts, decide on your own - either free or paid version to choose.

10. kjdemuth

HMP is on demand only. It doesn't provide real time protection.

11. kjdemuth

It was short lived. It did look a box of captain crunch though. :thumb:

12. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

lol:D
    now you are talking about bussiness with your new avatar:thumb:

13. Securon

Good Afternoon! That settles it...Captain Crunch it is! Lol...Sincerely...Securon

14. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

15. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I have posted this in the past. I have a friend, and know another who was using Norton up to date. He got a rogue that Norton did not detect or prevent, and of course could not remove.
    The rogue would not permit him to get online and download anything. The rogue wanted him to buy something to get rid of malware on his system.

I put MBAM on a CD and took it to him, installed it, ran a Quick Scan, and it identified and removed the rogue.
    Another guy I know had almost the exact same experience.

My opinion is that I will not use an AV that will not permit MBAM running alongside in real time.
    I think it is a necessary application for layering. If an AV won't run with it, the AV goes. It is possible that you might have to remove MBAM until the AV installs and then reinstall MBAM. But MBAM Pro is a non-negotiable security application.

I do have the free version of HMP, but seldom run it.

Regards,
    Jerry

16. jo3blac1

I share your believes but MBAM itself takes as many resources as some full internet security suits. So this becomes problematic on netbooks.

17. The Hammer

I'm not having any such issues on mine as I upgraded the memory from 1GB to 2 shortly after I purchased it.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  18. jo3blac1

It's not the memory that is the problem. I have 6GB of it and honestly I wish my programs used to more of it so it doesn't sit around wasted. What concerns me is the I/O usage and the CPU. I have only 1.5 Ghz AMD and it is single core too!

19. The Hammer

I have a Dual Core AMD C50 1.0GHz.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  20. MBAM & Hitman PRo are the only two pieces of software related to security I have. No real time AV, HIPS or any of that rubbish just MBAM & Hitman Pro.

I'll add having a good DNS server helps. DNScrypt or OpenDNS or NortonDNS are the top three options, I've used them all and they are great.

21. ght1

ght1 Guest

I prefer HitmanPro because it's fast and it doesn't need a whole database update every day. :)

22. Syobon

Syobon Registered Member

yeah, mbam could use some delta updates. And their real time is a killer both to malware and pc performance :D

23. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

My last MBAM database update (just now) was 5.5kb. My last quick scan took less than 3 minutes.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  24. The Hammer

You must be talking about the free version.

25. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

I actually find it faster when MBAM downloads the full database instead of incremental update :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.