maybe special test in june

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by IBK, May 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IBK

IBK AV Expert

EDIT: ClamAV/ClamWin retired the permission, so it will be not included. Sorry :(

So now it looks like this:
    UNA and Rising are willing to participate.
    eTrust(VET), Kingsoft, Jiangmin and VirusBuster: waiting for final reply (or any reply).

Last edited: Jun 5, 2006
  2. aluckystar

aluckystar Registered Member

IBK :

I am a Chinese living in Shanghai and I am very glad to see that almost all famous AV software in China may be in the list.

If you can not find the AV software of Kingsoft, I can offer the download address of Kingsoft Internet Security 2006 on Kingsoft Official Chinese site.
    This exe file also offers English GUI.
    The address is
    http://telecom.event.www.kingsoft.com/db2006.php?id=1
    or
    ftp://dl3.kingsoft.com/duba/download/install/DB06_SP_060419/DUBA06IS.10.EXE

It is a trial version. You can only update for 7 days after you register a "passport" of Kingsoft in this trial version. If you need the passport,I can IM to you.

You can also download Kingsoft Internet Security 2006 from its official site in Japan:
    The address is:
    http://210.188.221.7/soft_plus/kingsoft_000/kis2006.exe
    This can be used for 6 months for free.
    But it seems that this is not a trial version, i don't know if it is legal to download it outside of Japan.

BTW, can you consider Guanghua, another famous AV in China (I remeber you said Guanghua and Jiangmin are ..., since you test Jiangmin, then why not test Guanghua)?

If you need any trial version of AV in China, I can give you the download link. It's easy to get for me.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2006
  3. IBK

IBK AV Expert

1. I test/publish only if I get a permission.
    2. Jiangmins detection rate is lower than Rising, so it currently does not appear to use another engine.
    GuangHua I will not test, because it defintly use various material from other companies, the rates may look good, but most probably the reliability and disinfection is not good, as they do not even have the malware that they detect. Better you get instead one of the original products.

4. aluckystar

aluckystar Registered Member

Thank you. I understand.

5. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

I guess "Open Source" isn't very open.......

Time to ditch the clam :ouch:

6. IBK

IBK AV Expert

Currently:
    Rising, UNA & VirusBuster will participate.
    Waiting for answer from: eTrust(VET), Kingsoft and Jiangmin. Should they not answer within Friday night, I will consider them as not willing to participate :(.

In any case - whatever the results will be - I find it very nice from the participating companies that they allow their users to see how they score, in order that the users will see how their products improve over the time. It is a big plus for companies to do not hide the scores of their products, as I consider it as a sign that they have nothing to hide and are convident in their products.

7. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Would it be possible also to add databaseless anti-malware, like i.e. Viguard?
    Or am I talking nonsense? :doubt:

Gerard

8. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

IBK, so what about KAV6 Proactive Defense module? Will it be tested?

9. IBK

IBK AV Expert

as it will be an on-demand test, Viguard can not be added. would also be too much work considering that is a special test done in "free" time (and for free), while preparing the other things for the regular tests.

10. IBK

IBK AV Expert

It was already tested. The press release about its results should be released maybe already during this week or next week and posted on my website and weblog.

11. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Excellent :)

12. pykko

pykko Registered Member

nice. ... I can't wait to see it. :)

13. rothko

rothko Registered Member

14. IBK

IBK AV Expert

No, the press release is all what you are going to see I think. http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/ergebnisse/KAV6_PDM_test.PDF
    the results by executing the malware was 99,4%. Kaspersky will soon update some rules to cover some of the not-blocked malware, after that it will have 99,5% (of the ~6329 samples). Note that this test was done on-execution, and not on-demand, as the PDM of KAV v6 works only during execution of files.

15. rothko

rothko Registered Member

sorry if this is a stupid question, i dont pretend to know much about proactive detection...but do false positives come into the equation in this type of test?

16. IBK

IBK AV Expert

No, because executing millions of clean files would take too much time. this single test only shows how much the PDM (behavior blocker) of KAV6 is able to block.

17. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Andreas, what were the settings that you used in the PDM?

18. IBK

IBK AV Expert

the highest available settings.

19. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

You used just PDM right? No File Anti-virus module i assume.

Btw, PDF document link is dead.

20. IBK

IBK AV Expert

~Yes, using only the PDM was a little bit tricky, by replacing the new databases in order to test only the PDM.
    I fixed now the URL, it was case sensitive.

21. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

So bottom line, KAV6 PDM module is extremely effective? I can only see such result if it was able to detect 99% of everything that you have in your test bed.

22. IBK

IBK AV Expert

The PDM (behaviour blocker) blocked over 99,4% of the used test-set (6329 samples) - new samples that are not recognized by the signatures. With signatures, KAV already detects over 99% in the on-demand test of February, so if you take those 2 results together, KAV 6 will be quite effective I think.

23. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

It's good to finally know how effective is KAV6 PDM and KAV6 overall considering both reactive and proactive parts together. :D

24. TAP

TAP Registered Member

WOW!!! :eek: KAV 6 is truly one of the best (I'd personally say it's the best) antivirus software.

25. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

If I understand, the test was conducted using the samples that were not in the signature data base. Only the PDM was turned on, and instead of on-demand scanning the samples attempted to infect the system. PDM intercepted 99.4% of those samples.

Instead of using heuristics to find malware already on the computer, this test demonstrated the capability of PDM to prevent infections.

Is this correct?

Thanks,
    Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.