Maybe it is time for a new distro

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by cet, Jun 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cet

cet Registered Member

I found the reason for the boot problems.I thought a lot but at last I found it.

h ttp://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1507481&highlight=firefox+crash

I had 2 firefox crashes lately.When I think back I now understand that the other 2 problems were firefox crashes too (I did not relate the crashes to firefox because firefox was minimized in the system tray).The only reason that I was not able to boot was because I did not know how to properly shut off the system using magic keys or using REISUO.So the system was unbootable.
    Today after the firefox crash I did REISUO and the system booted without problems.
    As stated in the forum I am using the latest flash, but firefox dies suddenly while viewing some pages, mostly Turkish pages.
    I had problems with synaptic after adding Chrome.Now I may try Opera or Chromium from the repos.

The moral of the story:the linux newbies should learn how to shut off the system properly in case of a problem.It must be one of the first things to learn after a clean installation.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  2. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

3. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

As mack_guy911 said.

ctrl+alt+F1 (or 2,3,4,5,6,) (Note: ctrl+alt+F7 to get back to desktop.)
    login prompt
    username ......
    password ......

sudo shutdown -r now (to reboot) OR sudo shutdown -h now (to shutdown)
    password .....

4. mack_guy911

what i found difference between fedora 13 and ubuntu 10.04 is ubuntu make me feel like bleeding edge when its comes and fedora 13 awesome stable distro

i was never expect such a stable distro for fedora my self i didnt need to do single tweak every thing work so well fedora 13 which is base on fedora 12 so know doubt where all good thing come from although i have fedora 12 on my system right now i tested fedora 13 on vbox i feel hardly much difference as stability concern even fedora 13 look more rocksolid distro

strange i am running it and forcing it to alteast give me one single crash even in selinux enable but it disappoint me

so many updates if you like your distro to update all the time yes fedora is for you i guss fedora is loosing it reputation by making such stable release now days

i always love the sound and graphic quality in fedora as compare to ubuntu when tweaked to maximum same in both fedora videos are nice and smooth and sound quality best that any other distro .....yumex awesome presto (it will make your 100mb update to few 20-30 mb)

lol........i should stop now before i start writing poetry notes on fedora

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=1694650#post1694650

5. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Fedora is no more stable here than Lucid and I am trying out both here, also the same Pulse issues that confront Lucid exist in Fedora. By default Fedora uses latest Mesa DRI which Lucid backed off due to issues but now you can install it by adding xswat ppa which puts latest mesa dri and latest nvidia, ati and intel drivers as well. As for video quality, I find both having same with no difference. In Ubuntu, I can easily compile my own cutting edge mplayer, ffmpeg, x264 and stay up to date whereas in Fedora I am dependant on their fusion repo where its usually not the latest, in fact the mplayer in it is surprisingly quite old, older than the one on Ubuntu's medibuntu repo. As for crash, since day of release Lucid has not crashed in this sytem, nor has it crashed or locked up in the laptops and other desktops at my univ, majority in my family are running Lucid, so are many among my friend's circle and some of them are rank novices when it comes to PC, some are as old as 75+ and not a single one of them complain about crashes. No wonder Ubuntu gets selected by IBM and Google as their OS for desktop linux, no surprise there.

Btw, yum presto is a fantastic touch there but I still find yum package management quirky. Try install Skype under x64 Fedora and you will see one of its examples of quirkiness.

6. mack_guy911

ubuntu shutdown steps by step by default root access in blocked in ubuntu which my confuse new user

step 1 ctrl+alt+F2 you can use (F1,F3,F4,F5,F6)

F7 to get gui in ubuntu in fedora its F1 used to get gui

step 2 username: mack (for example)
    step 3 password: hello

step 4 [mack@localhost ~]$ sudo su

step 5 [sudo] password for mack: hello {(here type your username password (ie your login password again)}

step 6 [root@localhost mack]# init 0 (for shutdown)
    init 6 (for reboot)

why use init because its global in all linux some linux there is noshut,poweroff, halt shutdown -h ...etc to shut system but if you use init 0 it work on all linux also init 6 make you reboot system

2 other informatics commands

to get out you can root you can use logoff or exit

or if you stuck like for example command not found you get a blank screen with - (cursor blinking)

use ctrl +c or ctrl +z

Ctrl + C To terminate
    Ctrl + Z suspends a program

7. linuxforall

In terminal sudo shutdown or sudo reboot works fine in Ubuntu.

8. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Can confirm Ubuntu Lucid and even Karmic, Intrepid and Hardy = no crashes (maybe minor glitches for which mostly a workaround exits). I am sticking to it leech like.
    (Same for CentOS). Anyway I don't have enough GB's allocated by my ISP to play with other OS'ses, and time is scarce. Have tried SuSE but didn't like the package management at all - overly intricate.

9. cet

cet Registered Member

Wiped out Ubuntu and installed Fedora.But cannot do anything.When I write sudo apt-get install lm-sensors I get this message:
    cet is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported.

10. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Try su (enter your p/word)
    Then:- yum install

yum install yumex ( will make it easy to install applications )

11. mack_guy911

thanks linux for all what i am writing is what of gui mode completely hangs you cannot click mouse on terminal mode :p

12. cet

cet Registered Member

[root@localhost cet]# yum install lm-sensors
    Loaded plugins: presto, refresh-packagekit
    Setting up Install Process
    No package lm-sensors available.
    Nothing to do
    [root@localhost cet]#

I get thiso_O

13. mack_guy911

cet make dual boot please i beg you :D

because after you starting getting problem with fedora every one here is ready to kick my @#$# :D

we love to help you with ubuntu/mint and fedora both :D

in fedora there is no apt-get its yum install

to get root you need su

also you need rpm fusion to get many application i highly recommend you to be on dual boot because fedora is pretty wicked you get problem but fun thing is you enjoy to resolve them as well still in weird case i highly recommend you mint as well on dual boot

agree with ocky but i find mint/ubuntu pretty stable specially mint default not much problems on both distro i ever face i mean fedora and mint and on my second brother system i have ubuntu and fedora

14. mack_guy911

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  15. cet

cet Registered Member

Sorry but tooo late.I wiped out the hard disk and now Fedora is the only system.:D
    I installed yum extender and installed open office with that.
    I managed to install hdd temp and sensors.But there is no applet as in Ubuntu.I have to open the terminal and write sensors each timeo_Oo_O

16. linuxforall

Cet, in Fedora its called lm_sensors

17. linuxforall

But you can type sudo reboot and sudo shutdown in terminal when you are out of X. :)

18. mack_guy911

option A use awn

option B use terminal i use that way sorry

option C shrink your partition and install ubuntu/mint as well.........:p

i feel like busted hehehe

19. cet

cet Registered Member

I already have installed it.I want to install an applet to see it in the panel.

Attached Files:

20. cet

cet Registered Member

21. linuxforall

I use gkrellm which I use in Lucid as well from the very beginning.

22. cet

cet Registered Member

Installed awn and the extra nonfree repositories

23. mack_guy911

yum install gnome-applet-sensors

yum install hddtemp

or for yumex gui

gnome-applet-sensors

24. cet

cet Registered Member

I was downloading a file to make my scanner work.I downloaded that file again and renamed as I did before.But I have to ''sudo mv /home/<your-user-name>/Desktop/PS1fw.usb /usr/share/sane/gt68xx/'' but when I do it I get this error:

sudo: mv/home/ceylan/Desktop/PS1fw.usb: command not found
    [root@localhost cet]#

I had made this scanner work in this way in Ubuntu and in Pardus.

25. mack_guy911

use su -c instead of sudo

and form root if you already in use mv/home/ceylan/Desktop/PS1fw.usb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.