Maybe it is the right time for Prevx.

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by trjam, Nov 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

As I become more disillusioned with standards antivirus products reliability it leaves me wondering if products like Prevx are not now ready for prime time. I am a firm believer in some sort of virtualization software and use Sandboxie. I am starting to think that a combo like Prevx and Sandboxie would fit the bill allot more then the standard AV.

2. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

"Smart HIPS" definitely do seem to be the right direction to go for me too.

3. Hermescomputers

Hermescomputers Registered Member

You can add my vote on this one!

4. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

A good friend of mine, who happens to be a penny-pincher, is still using the following combo; a full duty firewall, virtualization app (deepfreeze in his case), and Prevx 2. That is all he needs, and never has failed him in the last good while. :rolleyes:

5. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Sounds like a smart man.:)

6. Hermescomputers

Woaaa... Nice shiny new logo TrJam :D

7. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

I love to relay your message to him.
    BTW. a nice/wise logo you just added. :thumb:

8. trjam

trjam Registered Member

yep, I am going to be in just a little while, the new Wilders guinea pig. Going run with these 2 apps and nothing else for 6 months. Can you believe it.:rolleyes:
    Look Ma, no AV.;)

9. Hermescomputers

You realize that you will be missing the file scanner in your email? That could open up doors you may not want opened...

10. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I can either sandbox it, or let Prevx catch it once it gets loose.

11. Hermescomputers

You are a brave man Trjam... I don't have this much guts!:eek:
    I do have a lot of faith in the product but I currently look at PREVX as a complement to one's existing defenses not a complete replacement yet...
    However be assured I will be watching closely!

12. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Alas trjam you aren't the first. Quite a few folks are running this way. I have no AV or AS installed. Just Online Armor, now Anti Executable, and Sandboxie. No issues at all.

Pete

13. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Thanks Pete, that builds me up.:thumb: I want to run OA, but Mike is still banging his head over a beer truck and Vista.;) :D

14. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

In this case, I would use web email service exclusively, and let ISP's AV pre-scanning those attachments before me. ;)

15. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, Trjam,
    This hint may help: empty your sandboxie or reboot your virtualization app every 30 min. You are probably in good hands. Good luck.

16. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Said goodbye to my AVs, locked and loaded Prevx2 on both machines and away we go. Of course they say disable uac with vista, but that worthless module was already deactivated. Ran extensive scans on both and are clean. I never used version 2 and a lot has changed. The GUI is a hell of a lot better and the added ability to scan archives is nice. A lot lighter then version 1. I like it 10 times better then version 1. I like the ability with the module to monitor a specific application or program. It does search for rootkits. And it is very light. Feel totally secure with this and sandboxie. Will do a periodic scan with Kaspersky about every month, but for what this cost coupled with Sandboxie and Firefox for free, well, what can I say.:thumb:

17. egghead

egghead Registered Member

Love that one ;)

18. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I think I might cut down on my security some time soon but I'm not sure which add on to remove adblock plus or CS lite ? and then again I don't really want to take risks so perhaps I'd better keep them both just in case ?

19. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

@Long View: Wow! your system is way to bloated. If I where you I would get rid off adblock to begin with. If that doesn´t speed up your system, then CS lite is the next one to go.

/C.

20. Montpellier

Montpellier Registered Member

This will probably sound biased (as all I ever tend to comment on are threads related to Prevx), however I have reason to do so - as I have run only Prevx2.0 plus the hardware firewall provided by my router for the last 12 months +, and the only programs that have stated I require cleanup during sporadic on-demand checks, are PCTools' Spyware Doctor, and Webroot's Spysweeper who supposedly find malicious tracking cookies...

Of course, we have to admit however, that I'm an educated internet user, able to spot the scams and frauds throwns at me every minute of every day, therfore probably avoid 99% of possible infections already.

Unfortunately it's the "everyday Joes" out there who download something risky, then believe the "You are infected" popups they receive constantly - so much that they use their credit card to rid themselves of such issues - whilst at the same time providing the scum with all the details they need to fuel credit card fraud.

Not sure what my point is here anymore, but Prevx2.0 has proven itself to me at least. Whether is would also prove 100% effective under the contol of an internet newbie remains to be seen...

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  21. Hermescomputers

I agree with you fully minus the credit card bit. However I must point that People pay me all the time to clean up malware from their computers, actually I make a living doing it. Often they are university educated and quite net savvy, and yes they use their credit card!!! However Since I insist they process via paypal it makes things a lot safer for all involved! But I recognize some of the bogus product you refer too and must assume you are not insinuating what I do is wrong...

Another point I'd like to make is that even the best and brightest cant defend themselves in browsing to sites that are of honest stock but compromised with the inclusions of IFrames for examples. Thus rendering the "safe" browsing habits moot...

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  22. Montpellier

What I was implying was that these "everyday Joes" pay people like "Malware Burn", "Virusprotectpro", etc, with their credit card to rid themselves of the annoying "You are Infected" popups which the people they are paying actually provided in the first place!

As well as getting cash out of these people, the scammers also now have their valid credit card details which they can sell on, or use themselves further for criminal gain.

I wasn't meaning that you and your malware removal services were bad ;)

23. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I also said goodbye to AV/AS/AT/AK/AR-scanners, including Prevx and that makes my e-life alot easier.
    Give me any scanner and it won't find anything on my system. I remove even malware that is not mentioned in the community database of Prevx or isn't born yet. I don't run after the bad guys, I run faster than the bad guys, that's how I win this Malware War and how I will win Malware War III. End of rant. :D

24. Hermescomputers

Oh and you forgot malwarealarm.com one of my favorites.
    Actually to strengthen this momentum there is a site I sometimes refer to when In doubt about rogue products: Corrupt Anti Spyware http://www.2-spyware.com/corrupt-anti-spyware I think you may find interesting... The list is frighteningly long.

25. Montpellier

If only everyone could be so secure!

I'd be interested to know how you go about avoiding things like drive-by-malware-installs, etc, with absolutely zero protection though? Not saying it's impossible, but I'd imagine you'd have to be a very safe surfer and never delve into the greyer corners of the internet as the majority of users do... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.